Mr Alan Whitfield
Position: Programme Leader MSc Environmental Health
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Natural Sciences
Subject area: Environmental Sciences
- I am the Programme Leader for the MSc in Environmental Health. This was the first qualifying Masters level course for environmental health practitioners to be accredited by the CIEH under the new 2003 CIEH core curriculum.
- I also tutor on IoA Diploma in Acoustics, the Competence in Environmental Noise Measurement short course and the Workplace Noise Short Course.
I am currently involved in the development of innovative distance learning materials for delivery of environmental health programme eg computer based virtual inspections
In addition to having an overview of the MSc Environmental Health Programme I am the module leader for the Health and Safety: The Home Environment and Environmental Health in Practice Modules.
I have a specialist interest in environmental and occupational noise measurement and evaluation and offer a wide range of consultancy in these areas.
- Investigation of noise annoyance around airports.
- Entertainment noise and possible health effects and nuisance aspects.
- Consistency amongst noise enforcement officers when assessing statutory nuisance
- Re-evaluation of noise levels from long established Noise Abatement Zone
- Assessment of nuisance from amplified music at pubs and clubs
- Member of Institute of Acoustics (MIOA)
- Member of Chartered Institute Environmental Health (MCIEH)
- Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner
- Member of Environmental Noise Group, IoA
- Member of Qualifications Board, Chartered Institute Environmental Health
- Member of Professional Examinations Working Party, Chartered Institute Environmental Health
- BSc Environmental Health, University of West of England
- Diploma in Acoustics, Institute of Acoustics
- MSc Acoustics, Vibration and Noise Control, Heriot Watt University
- MPhil Civil Engineering - Assessment of noise annoyance around airports, University of Birmingham
- An Assessment of Occupational Noise Exposure Amongst Bar Staff Employees Working in Nightclubs. Whitfield, A. International Journal of Environmental Health Research. Vol. 8 No. 3 1998
- Review of Noise Act on behalf of Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions. Whitfield, A and Higgitt, Jwww.defra.gov.uk/environment/consult/reviewofnoise/document/index.htm
- Assessment of Noise Annoyance in Three Distinct Communities Living in Close Proximity to a UK Regional Airport. Whitfield, A. International Journal of Environmental Health Research.
International Journal of Environmental Health Research Vol 13 (4): 361-372 Dec 2003
- Quiet Homes For London: Review Of Options. An Initial Scoping Study. Whitfield, A., Higgitt, J. and Groves, R. Greater London Authority 2004
- Quiet Homes for London Conference Paper November 3, 2005: Quiet Homes For London: Review Of Options. An Initial Scoping Study. GLA, London
- Interview on Radio 4 about noise nuisance and anti-social behaviour
- Interview on Radio Saga FM about the problems associated with poor sound insulation in housing