- Top up your Centre for Mineral Products foundation degree to a full honours degree in Minerals Management
- This exciting new part time degree is designed specifically for the mineral products industry to prepare its leaders and managers for the future
- It's been developed in partnership with the Institute of Quarrying
- It's taught by an expert and experienced team from the industry and the University of Derby
- You'll study part time in your own time and at workshops, so you can fit studying around your work and family commitments
This qualification is designed specifically for the mineral products industry to prepare its leaders and managers for the future. You'll study subjects including:
- Leadership and operational management
- Project management
- Financial management
- Commercial management and marketing
- Extractives management
- Lean structures
- Quality management
- Health, safety and environment management
You'll undertake a work based project which applies everything you learn to an issue in your workplace, so you can make a real impact in your role.
About the Institute of Quarrying
The Institute of Quarrying is the international professional body for quarrying, construction materials and the related extractive and processing industries, with 6,000 members in some 50 countries worldwide. Membership is open to individuals, rather than companies, and the Institute's long-term objective is to promote progressive improvements in all aspects of operational performance through the medium of education and training at supervisory and management level.
The Institute, like the University, believes education and training is a life-long opportunity, which should be viewed, in the broadest terms, starting with initial qualifications gained at college, university or through distance-learning programmes followed by continuing professional development through attendance at conferences, seminars, training courses, competence assessment schemes, workshops, technical meetings, and site visits.
Find out more about membership of the Institute and how it will benefit you.
Over two years you will complete these modules:
Advanced Mineral Products Technology (20 credits)
You'll gain the knowledge and skills required at an advanced level to apply theory to practice as it relates to the mineral products sector and competently perform technical operations to the standards, ethical and professional responsibilities required by the mineral products industry. Learners will have knowledge sufficient to permit informed, rational decision making in this specialist field of advanced mineral products technology and to implement decisions based on sound knowledge and understanding. It will enable them to work collaboratively with staff, clients, authorities, agencies, and the wider industry and suppliers.
Commercial and Financial Management (20 credits)
This module provides an understanding of the key commercial and financial management issues for middle and senior managers, particularly in the mineral products industry. You'll develop your understanding of the business environment and the techniques used for appraising investment opportunities including the exploration of appropriate financial frameworks. You'll also learn about the legal framework within which project contracts operate looking at the formation of contracts, their validity and interpretation and breach of contract. In thismodule you'll also cover energy-saving and the financial benefits of managing health, safety, environment and sustainability.
Operations Management (20 credits)
This module focuses on the key issues of operations management from a strategic and practical perspective, using relevant theory to explore the challenges to traditional operations management thinking in the increasingly globalised business environment within which the mineral products industry operates. You'll develop critical understanding of operations management and its constituent processes from both a theoretical and practical perspective with particular reference to the mineral products sector. You'll be able to enhance your career potential, personal and professional effectiveness, and performance in employment in the field of operations management in a range of organisations, but specifically in the mineral products industry. You'll also explore the critical importance of effective leadership and management overall and particularly in respect of health, safety and the environment.
Resource Management (20 credits)
This module introduces and critically examines the concept of both material and human resources. You'll learn about all aspects of the employment process including resourcing, involvement, developmental and reward dimensions within the organisation and the importance of workforce participation. You'll also cover the key task of procurement, including the selection of suppliers and contractors as well as the management of suppliers, supply chains and inventory.
Work based/related project (40 credits)
This module is designed to bring together all of your learning in relation to your own area of professional practice. You'll identify a particular problematic area in your organisation or sector and explore it in the context of current academic and professional thinking. You'll need to demonstrate your ability to diagnose the issue and draw conclusions from your reading and personal analysis.
How you'll learn
You'll study part time, online, and can choose to attend a number of optional workshops each year at Derby in the UK. Here you'll work face to face with our specialist academic staff, all of whom have extensive experience within the industry. It's also an opportunity to meet colleagues in your sector - swapping ideas and sharing best practice. These are not compulsory and will not affect your studying if you don't attend
Your learning is supplemented through online video and guest lecture presentations.
Elements of your programme materials are in an interactive electronic format and are released to you throughout the year. You'll have full online access to our library and other learning resources.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through a combination of exams and continuous assessment.
This BCS (Hons) in Minerals Management (Top Up) is designed for those already employed within the sector, or recently new to the sector who have a requirement to further develop their skills and knowledge, and progress their career.
The following broad criteria applying for entry:
- One of our Foundation Degrees or if you already hold the University of Derby Diploma in Quarry Technology, or the Diploma in Asphalt Technology and the Quarry Studies top up Certificate, and you've achieved the SHE NVQ4* (since 2005) or QCF SHE6 you can join the programme. However, you may also hold other qualifications which will enable you entry to the programme. Please contact us to discuss further
- Learners are employed or have affiliation with an employer
- Learners will have been nominated to attend following a review/discussion with their line manager and/or recruitment manager
- Learners will have been identified by the organisation as being able to succeed on the programme
- The selection of participants is consistent with the University’s equal opportunities policies and sensitive to legal obligations to avoid discrimination on the basis of gender, race or disability
- Learners can demonstrate English language capability to that of GCSE English Language, IELTS 6.0 or its equivalent as a prerequisite of enrolment on the programme
- Learners will complete an application form as provided by the University of Derby and meet the above requirements.
While the ultimate responsibility for ensuring that learners meet entry requirements and acceptance on to programmes rests with the University of Derby, employers typically nominate the majority of learners expected onto this programme. The prior experience of learners is a key factor in programme design and development as such employers, potential learners, professional bodies, and key stakeholders have been consulted during the programme development stage.
UK and EU students
- Year 1 £3,165
- Year 2 £3,810
- Year 1 £4,025
- Year 2 £4,690
*These fees apply if you’re starting this course between September 2018 and August 2019. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
Students should apply directly to the University.
Apply directly to the University
Empower your workforce with block bookings
Take advantage of a short courses block booking to upskill your employees. Our short courses run on-campus and online and include new legislation and other up-to-the-minute issues. Get in touch today and we will tailor a package to meet the needs of your business.Block booking for businessBlock booking for business