Aggregates form the basis of many construction materials. This module develops knowledge about construction materials made with aggregates; and the standards, specifications and other requirements that apply to them.
It includes the methods used to sample and test aggregates, bituminous mixtures and ready mixed concrete in a safe way. In addition, the module will develop knowledge of the principles of mixture design; the methods of making and using bituminous mixtures and ready mixed concrete; and knowledge of the techniques used to manage product quality so as to satisfy the needs of producers and their customers.
How you will learn
The programme is influenced by the principles of work-based learning. As such a flexible range of teaching and learning methodologies are used relevant to particular groups or practices. For example:
- Face to face taught modules combining tutor input with structured opportunities for discussion, reflection and planning for workplace application
- Learning opportunities identified and taken directly from the learner’s workplace situation
- Action learning sets and other facilitated group activities
- Individual reflection on learning
- Technology enhanced learning using a sophisticated virtual learning environment (VLE).
At undergraduate level, the emphasis is on fostering independent learning, whilst providing a supporting environment in which to study at higher level. One of the key aims of any undergraduate programme is to produce an independent learner capable of properly managing their time and resources to identify issues, decide how to collect and analyse evidence and reach reasoned evidence based conclusions, and to subsequently present this information via various methods of communication (written and oral).
Indicative methods of assessment include activities such as:
- practical projects focused on particular workplaces
- technical reports
- annotated presentations
- reflective portfolios or collections of work completed throughout the module / programme
- E-assessments via the Virtual Learning Environment
- problem solving tasks
- varied writing tasks and oral assessment
- practical assessment of professional competence
These indicative approaches will be used to test attainment of knowledge and understanding as well as skills and capabilities thereby promoting ‘deep learning’.