This programme, comprises of one module, and is less intensive than the University Diploma in Clay Studies (three modules). Successful completion of this programme, will exempt the learner from Module one of the University Diploma in Clay Studies. Experience has shown that this single module programme may be more suitable for learners with limited experience, or who have not studied for some time.
The programme has been designed to appeal to a wide audience, such as:
- Employees working in clay drying and firing applications and associated professionals who wish to gain knowledge in clay drying and firing to strengthen the service that they provide to their internal or external clients
- Employees from related supply and equipment manufacturing industries who wish to gain knowledge of clay technology to better serve their customers.
The distinctive nature of this programme is represented by the flexibility of its design and delivery. Its construction and innovative modes of delivery recognise the diverse and dispersed nature of not only the industry itself, but the potential student body it will serve. Due to the geographical spread of the industry, manufacturing sites and offices are often remote and isolated.
Technical and operational staff very often spend a significant proportion of their time working outdoors, can be transient (with seasonal working activities sometimes playing a part) and they may also find that they are suddenly re-located, in some cases abroad. The provision offered within this programme of study, has had to evolve to meet the needs of such learners: taking advantage not only of traditional teaching and learning techniques, but utilising the most advanced learning technology for teaching, learning, supervision, and assessment.
- The programme is designed to enable agile delivery of the teaching and learning activities. The programme delivery model comprises a blended distance learning model, which allows online learning material to be supported by face-to-face sessions
- Delivery of face-to-face teaching is undertaken at the Enterprise Centre which provides a more corporate environment
- Assessment strategies allow direct application of knowledge learned which is directly related to the workplace
The programme enables the following opportunities:
- Equips learners for shortfall in international, national, and local development needs
- Develops the learner’s knowledge and understanding of the Clay Drying and Firing process and the context in which it operates, including global and environmental influences
- Enables a learner to develop their intellectual breadth and be able to make integrative links across the various areas of their organisations
- Increases capacity to learn, both on the programme and as independent lifelong learners following completion of the programme
- Provides an academically rigorous and challenging programme of study aligned with the QAA Qualification Framework enhancing critical and reflective practice
- Provides flexible learning opportunities in a diverse environment that widens participation
Clay Drying and Firing Module
This module provides the learner with an underpinning knowledge of the techniques used to dry and then fire clay products. It will cover the areas of practical and scientific knowledge required to perform at the appropriate level within the clay technology industry and provide the knowledge and understanding of the drying and firing processes that produce different types of clay products and the influence of drying and firing techniques on their characteristics.
It will consider the methods used to prepare (set) dried and formed clay products before they are fired and an understanding of different methods of removing moisture, including the rate of drying and associated process controls. It includes the study of the range of techniques and equipment used to fire clay products, including the chemistry and economics of firing; the economic operation of kilns; statistical process control techniques; and safe operation in a way that complies with pollution controls. The module will offer an awareness of the published product Standards that define the characteristics of finished clay products, including the control of product conformity and an understanding of the methods used to stack and pack finished clay products in a way that is appropriate to the method used to deliver it to the customer. The module also examines the management of customer requirements, including quality management systems and an awareness of environmental aspects.
How you will learn
The programme is influenced by the principles of work-based learning. As such a flexible range of teaching and learning methodologies are used relevant to particular groups or practices. For example:
- Face-to-face taught modules combining tutor input with structured opportunities for discussion, reflection and planning for workplace application
- Learning opportunities identified and taken directly from the learner’s workplace situation
- Action learning sets and other facilitated group activities
- Individual reflection on learning
- Technology-enhanced learning using a sophisticated virtual learning environment (VLE)
At undergraduate level, the emphasis is on fostering independent learning, whilst providing a supporting environment in which to study at higher level. One of the key aims of any undergraduate programme is to produce an independent learner capable of properly managing their time and resources to identify issues, decide how to collect and analyse evidence and reach reasoned evidence-based conclusions, and to subsequently present this information via various methods of communication (written and oral).
Indicative methods of assessment include activities such as:
- Practical projects focused on particular workplaces
- Technical reports
- Annotated presentations
- Reflective portfolios or collections of work completed throughout the module/programme
- E-assessments via the Virtual Learning Environment
- Problem-solving tasks
- Varied writing tasks and oral assessment
- Practical assessment of professional competence
These indicative approaches will be used to test attainment of knowledge and understanding as well as skills and capabilities thereby promoting ‘deep learning’.
The following criteria apply for entry:
- Learners are employed or have affiliation with an employer
- Learners will have been nominated to attend following a review/discussion with their line manager and/or recruitment manager
- Learners will have been identified by the organisation as being able to succeed on the programme
- The selection of participants is consistent with the University’s equal opportunities policies and sensitive to legal obligations to avoid discrimination on the basis of gender, race, or disability
- Learners can demonstrate English language capability to that of GCSE English Language, IELTS 6.0 or its equivalent as a prerequisite of enrolment on the programme
- Learners will complete an application form as provided by the University of Derby and meet the above requirements
While the responsibility for ensuring that learners meet entry requirements and acceptance on to programmes rests with the University of Derby, employers typically nominate the majority of learners expected onto this programme. The prior experience of learners is a key factor in programme design and development as such employers, potential learners, professional bodies, and key stakeholders have been consulted during the programme development stage.
UK and EU students
*These fees apply if you are starting this course between September 2022 and August 2023. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
Empower your workforce with block bookings
Take advantage of a short courses block booking to upskill your employees. Our short courses run on-campus and online and include new legislation and other up-to-the-minute issues. Get in touch today and we will tailor a package to meet the needs of your business.Block booking for businessBlock booking for business
If you want to find out more about studying a short course, please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as we can.Contact us Contact us