About the role
Our Governance Services team is central to the delivery of our University's strategic aims. It supports the University by delivering a governance framework which allows the University to achieve its mission: empowering people across the globe to achieve their potential, making a positive contribution to society and delivering excellence and opportunities for our students, staff and region.
As the leader of our Governance Services team you will influence senior leaders, promote good governance, provide strategic advice and support the dissemination of best governance practice. You will be a subject expert and the critical first point of contact and reference for senior colleagues and Governors on governance matters. You will deliver a high-quality corporate governance function to Governing Council and build strong working relationships to facilitate the flow of business and effective decision-making, particularly between Governing Council and the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive, exercising appropriate challenge, sound judgement and calm authority.
In return, you can expect a competitive salary and an excellent package of benefits including a generous holiday entitlement and a contributory pension scheme. Prove that you can make things happen and your career with us could take you almost anywhere.
Reporting to the Associate Director – Legal, Governance & Assurance Services, the postholder is responsible and accountable for the following:
- Providing strategic advice commensurate with the status of governance as a business-critical discipline which is central to the integrity of the University and its success.
- Applying effective methodologies for board evaluation, growth, development and succession planning.
- Monitoring the corporate governance aspects of the Office for Students’ Regulatory Framework and highlighting developments and potential gaps.
- Advising on governance procedures and the interpretation and application of the University’s governing documents.
- Maintaining the University’s register of directors, updating Companies House records and filing the annual confirmation statement.
- Maintaining a register of interests of senior University employees and Governors.
- Tracking the internal audit plan of reports through the Vice Chancellor’s Executive and onto the Audit and Risk Committee and coordinating the internal audit register updates.
- Supporting with all aspects of recruitment or election to Governing Council.
- Preparation of letters of appointment and remuneration arrangements as required for members of Governing Council. Arrange for Governors’ expenses to be reviewed, authorised and processed.
- Assisting HR with the arrangements for appeals to Governing Council by staff against suspension/dismissal.
- Developing and reviewing the Governance pages of the University’s website.
- Developing relationships with senior Governance Services staff at other higher education institutions to ensure our processes are shaped through sector best practice.
- Being active in all relevant external networks to keep their knowledge up to date.
- Providing a full professional committee servicing support to Governing Council, its standing committees and such ad-hoc groups and bodies as are established by the University from time to time.
Events organisation and stakeholder contact
- Providing Governors with a highly professional support service in line with their individual needs and requirements.
- Organising induction programmes and ongoing training activities and events for Governors, maintaining a skills and expertise register of members of Governing Council and a record of governor training.
- Maintaining an up-to-date Governor Handbook.
- Managing arrangements for the University’s annual strategy meeting.
- Managing certain ceremonial aspects of the University’s annual awards congregations including: liaison with honorands, preparation of their commendations, organisation and distribution of briefing information, coordination with all internal and external contacts. Liaison with internal colleagues and external guests to ensure that all arrangements for events run smoothly and professionally.
- Supporting with aspects of all other official University ceremonial events as required, for example the installation of the Chancellor of the University and events for the Chair of Governing Council.
- Managing arrangements for University Court meetings as required by the Court Advisory Group; including securing the presenters, the venue, copy for invitations, liaison with the Events Team, briefing the Chancellor and follow up communication to Court Members.
- Ongoing review of the University Court membership as required by the Court Advisory Group. Liaising with the Secretary to the Conferment Committee over conferred titles eligible for invitation to join Court. Preparing letters of invitation for the Chancellor’s signature and tracking acceptances.
- Maintaining a comprehensive and accurate reference source of the University’s Honorary Graduates.
- Managing the other resources required to ensure high quality governance services.
- Lead the Governance Services team, to include line management of the Governance Services Assistant and other associated support staff. To include management of performance and oversight of appraisal process and outcomes.
As well as competitive pay scales, we offer generous holiday entitlement. We also offer opportunities for further salary progression based on performance, and the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme.
Find out more about pay and benefits
How to apply
You can apply by submitting an online application. Once you have signed in or registered with us you will be able to begin your application. If you are creating an account for the first time, please ensure you provide an email address that you access regularly as this will be our main means of contacting you regarding your application.
If you require any assistance, including the provision of any documentation in an alternative format, please contact the Recruitment team at email@example.com.
Please note all applications must be submitted online by Midnight GMT on the closing date of the vacancy.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications.
We recommend you take time to read the government guidance on individual eligibility requirements for sponsorship to check you will meet the criteria prior to applying. Skilled Worker visa: Your job - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
If you have any questions regarding sponsorship please contact HRUKVI@derby.ac.uk.
Our number one priority is to keep our staff, students and community safe as we continue to work through the pandemic. Upon appointment, full training will be given on the Health and Safety processes we follow.
Find out how we are ensuring the safety of our staff, students and community
Download Governance Services Manager job description
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect everyone who works for us to also share this commitment and to treat people with courtesy and respect.