Apprenticeship Course

Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship

Course details


Usually three years

Lecture/workshop days - dates/times

80% is on-the-job learning. The remaining 20% is through 'blended learning' - a combination of face-to-face and online teaching. Face-to-face sessions are usually delivered in blocks and we can be flexible, arranging them to fit around the workplace.

Course description

From 2020, the entry requirements to policing will change and all officers will be required to have a degree level qualification. We've been working with Nottinghamshire Police and Derbyshire Constabulary to establish this Police Constable Apprenticeship so that driven and talented individuals can gain a degree whilst working and earning.

You will cover areas that are critical to effective policing in the 21st century, such as:

To find out more about the knowledge, skills and behaviours you will be working towards, see the police constable apprenticeship standard.

PC Rai-Mottram standing in front of a blue building and smiling at the camera

New PC's desire to help others takes her from F1 to the frontline

One of Nottinghamshire Police’s newest recruits has explained how a desire to help other people led her to swap the high-octane world of professional motorsport for a life on the beat.

Find out more about Harminder's apprenticeship journeyFind out more about Harminder's apprenticeship journey

Structure, certificates and assessment

This apprenticeship runs over three years. 80% of your time will be spent completing on-the-job learning and uploading evidence of this to an e-portfolio, and the other 20% will be academic study for a Bachelors Degree in Professional Policing Practice.

You will rotate around key departments in your second year and be able to apply for specialisms in your third year.

To find out more about how you will be assessed, take a look at the police constable assessment plan (PDF).

A person wearing a headset while in a virtual call.

Request more information about our apprenticeship programmes

Want to talk to a member of the team about our apprenticeship programmes? Make an enquiry and a member of our team will get in contact with to provide you with more information about our apprenticeships, and how our programmes can up-skill your workforce.

Request more information about apprenticeshipsRequest more information about apprenticeships

Entry requirements

Age and employment requirements

You will need to be at least 18 years old and be employed by a police force. You will also need to meet the standard PC eligibility criteria.

The Police are keen to help individuals from under-represented communities apply for this apprenticeship.

Academic requirements

Typically, you will need to have achieved a level 3 qualification (A-level or equivalent). Forces may accept training or work experience, whether undertaken in or outside England and Wales, which is considered to be equivalent to a level 3 qualification.

You need to have Level 2 in English and Mathematics (or equivalents) prior to entry. If you don’t have the Level 2 requirements, we can offer guidance and support to gain these. Please mention this during the application process. 

Fees and funding

The cost will be paid for by the employer.

More details for employers

The cost of this apprenticeship will normally be in line with the funding band £24,000 but we will consider individual agreements, depending on student numbers and your involvement. Apprenticeship Levy funding will be used.

How to apply

We're partnering with Nottinghamshire Police and Derbyshire Constabulary on this programme so you'll need to apply through them.

However, you can find out more from us - please see below for contact information.

Contact us

Apprenticeships Hub +44 (0)800 001 5500

If you want to find out more about studying a short course, please contact us and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Contact us Contact us