Dr Claire Shepherd
College: College of Education
Subject area: Education Studies
I joined iCeGS in April 2015. Prior to this I trained as a doctoral researcher at the Cathie Marsh Centre for Census and Survey Research (CCSR) – based at the University of Manchester – after being awarded a +3 ESRC studentship award in 2010. I have recently been awarded my PhD in Social Statistics and my thesis was entitled ‘Gender role attitudes: A European cross-national study 1990-2008’. During my time at CCSR and the University of Manchester I was trained in a range of quantitative and qualitative skills and I was also a graduate teaching assistant, providing teaching support to introductory courses for quantitative methods to both MSc. Students and members of the public.
My research interests are wide ranging but tend to share a focus on gender or gender inequalities and include; changing gender role attitudes particularly in a cross-national context; gendered career and employment inequalities and women’s reconciliation of work-life balance.
I was awarded my PhD in Social Statistics in June 2015. Prior to this I received my MSc. in Sociological Research in 2009 after having gained a First Class Honours BSocSc. in Sociology in 2008, all at The University of Manchester.
- Artess, J. & Shepherd, C. (2016). H.E. Careers & Employability Services’ use of resources: Summary report. Derby: International Centre for Guidance Studies, University of Derby.
- Hooley, T., Dodd, V. and Shepherd, C. (2016). Developing a New Generation of Careers Leaders: An Evaluation of the Teach First Careers and Employability Initiative. Derby: International Centre for Guidance Studies, University of Derby. (Also see the executive summary)
- Shepherd, C. and Hooley, T. (2016) ‘They’ve got their backs to the sea’: Careers work in Kent’s coastal schools. Derby: International Centre for Guidance Studies, University of Derby.
- Hooley, T., Shepherd, C. and Dodd, V. (2015). Get yourself connected: conceptualising the role of digital technologies in Norwegian career guidance. Derby: International Centre for Guidance Studies, University of Derby.
- Teasdale, N., Fagan, C. and Shepherd, C. (2012) ‘Women’s representation on the boards of UK listed companies’ in C. Fagan, M. Gonzales Menendez and S. Gomez Anson (eds.) ‘Women in Management: European Employment Policy’, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Grimshaw, D., Shepherd, C. and Rubery, J. (2010) ‘Minimum wage systems and changing industrial relations in Europe: National UK Report’ report prepared for VS/2009/0159 (EWERC, University of Manchester) for the European Commission, DG Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities.