Dr Van Bac Nguyen
Position: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Subject area: Civil Engineering
I am holding a Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer position in Civil Engineering in the College of Engineering and Technology. Prior to this position, I was a Research & Development Engineer at Hadley Industries plc, a steel manufacturing industry; a KTP Research Engineer Associate at the University of Wolverhampton; a Research Fellow and a Teaching Assistant at the University of Birmingham. I obtained my PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Birmingham.
My duties include teaching and tutorial guidance for under- and post-graduate students, research and consultancy services when required. I am teaching modules of Mathematics, Materials and Structures; supervising students' final year projects; and carrying out research in mechanics of materials including biomaterials, steel and reinforced concrete structures, and building acoustics.
- Applied Engineering Mathematics
- Structures / Structural Analysis and Design
- Structural Materials
- Independent Study
I studied MPhil and PhD programmes in Civil Engineering at the University of Birmingham from 2001 to 2006, and in the same time I worked as a Teaching Assistant for teaching in some undergraduate modules and giving support to students' final year projects. Prior to this, I graduated with a first class BEng in Civil Engineering, major in Bridge and Highway Engineering at the University of Transportation, Vietnam and then worked as a Lecturer in Bridge Engineering for 4 years until 2001.
I graduated from my doctoral studies at the University of Birmingham in 2006 before beginning a 4-years Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the same university in a research project where I used the best practices in structural and mechanical engineering to solve problems for biomaterials and cells in tissue engineering. I then moved to industry where I spent 7 years with Hadley Industries plc, a cold roll formed steel manufacturer, working as a Research & Development Engineer in technology and product design development projects for steel building products.
I have been collaborating in teaching and research with some universities in the UK and Vietnam. I was an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham for 3 years after I finished my Research Fellowship there in 2009. I have been a Senior Honorary Research Fellow in the Department of Engineering and Design at the University of Sussex since 2015, a guest lecturer at Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Loughborough since 2012 and working in collaboration with Hadley Group Technology, Hadley Industries plc.
My principal research interests lie in the areas of mechanics of materials including biomaterials, material and structural testing, numerical modelling, Finite Element analysis, and the design and development of new steel manufacturing processes and products used in building structures.
I am keen on carrying out research that has innovative ideas and industrial specific applications, an industrial project is shown here. In particular, I am applying advanced research methods including physical testing, analytical and numerical modelling for the following areas:
- Concrete and reinforced concrete structures under earthquake loading
- Characterising material properties including civil engineering materials, biomaterials and biological cells in tissue engineering
- Product design and development including optimisation for cold-formed steel products used in building construction and other applications
- Acoustic performance of structural members in building acoustics
Memberships of ICE and IStructE
Education and Qualifications:
- PhD in Civil Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK
- MPhil in Civil Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK
- BEng in Civil Engineering (major in Bridge and Highway Engineering), University of Transportation, Vietnam
- Diploma in Management and Leadership, Chartered Management Institute, UK
Full list of publications on Google Scholar Citations. Selected publications:
- Nguyen, V.B., Mynors, D.J., Wang, C.J., Castellucci, M.A., and English, M.A., (2016). Analysis and design of cold-formed dimpled steel columns using Finite Element techniques. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 108, 22-31.
- Nguyen, V.B., Morgan, T., English, M.A., and Castellucci, M.A., (2015). Vibro-acoustic performance of different steel stud profiles in double-leaf walls by Finite Element analysis. Journal of Building Acoustics, 22(2), 65-80.
- Arjunan, A., Wang, C.J., Yahiaoui, K., Mynors, D.J., Morgan, T., Nguyen, V.B., and English, M., (2014). Development of a 3D finite element acoustic model to predict the sound reduction index of stud based double-leaf walls. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 333, 6140-6155.
- Nguyen, V.B., Wang, C.J., Mynors, D.J., Castellucci, M.A., and English, M.A., (2014). Dimpling process in cold roll metal forming by finite element modelling and experimental validation. Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 16, 363-372.
- Nguyen, V.B., Wang, C.J., Mynors, D.J., Castellucci, M.A., and English, M.A., (2013). Finite Element simulation on mechanical and structural properties of cold-formed dimpled steel. Thin-Walled Structures, 64, 13-22.
- Nguyen, V.B., Wang, C.J., Mynors, D.J., English, M.A., and Castellucci, M.A., (2012). Compression tests of cold-formed plain and dimpled steel columns. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 69, 20-29.
- Nguyen, V.B., Wang, C.J., Mynors, D.J., English, M.A., and Castellucci, M.A., (2011). Mechanical properties and structural behaviour of cold-rolled formed dimpled steel. Steel Research International, Special Issue, 1072-1077.
- Mercade-Prieto, R., Nguyen, V.B., Allen, R., York, D., Preece, J.A., Goodwin, T.E., Zhang, Z., (2011). Determination of the elastic properties of single microcapsules using micromanipulation and finite element modelling. Chemical Engineering Science, 66, 2042-2049.
- Nguyen, V.B., Wang, Q.G., Kuiper, N.J., El Haj, A.J., Thomas, C.R., and Zhang, Z., (2010). Biomechanical properties of single chondrocytes and chondrons determined by microcompression and finite element modelling. Journal of The Royal Society Interface, 7, 1723-1733.
- Nguyen, V.B., Thomas, C.R., and Zhang, Z., (2009). Mechanical properties of single alginate microspheres determined by microcompression and FE modelling. Chemical Engineering Science, 64, 821-829.
- Wang, Q.G., Nguyen, V.B., Thomas, C.R., Zhang, Z., El Haj, A.J., and Kuiper, N.J., (2010). Molecular profiling of single cells in response to mechanical force: comparison of chondrocytes, chondrons and encapsulated chondrocytes. Biomaterials, 31, 1619-1625.
- Nguyen, V.B., and Chan, A.H.C., (2006). Smeared crack models for reinforced concrete bridge piers under cyclic loading. Proceedings of the Eight International Conference on Computational Structures Technology (CST) and the Fifth International Conference on Engineering Computational Technology (ECT), Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain, Paper No. 125.
- Nguyen, V.B., and Chan, A.H.C., (2005). Comparisons of smeared crack models for reinforced concrete bridge piers under cyclic loading. Proceedings of the 13th Annual ACME Conference, 123-126, 21-23 March 2005, University of Sheffield, England, UK.
- Nguyen, V.B., Chan, A.H.C., (2004). Non-linear analysis for reinforced concrete structural members under randomly generated artificial earthquake-like ground motion. Proceedings of the 5th International PhD Symposium in Civil Engineering, 16-19 June, 2004, Delft, the Netherlands. Vol. 2, 961-969. A. A. Balkema Publisher, London.
- Nguyen, V.B., English, M.A., and Castellucci, M.A., (2015). Finite Element techniques for new process and product developments in metal forming industry. Proceedings of the 13th International Cold Forming Congress, p.178-185, Glasgow, UK.
- Nguyen, V.B., (2014). Simulation of a new cold roll process and products in metal forming industry. Accelerating the Future of CAE, Proceedings of NAFEMS UK Conference, p. 89-92, 10-11 June 2014, Oxford, UK.
- Nguyen, V.B., Morgan, T., English, M.A., and Castellucci, M.A., (2014). Acoustic performance of different cold-formed studs in double-leaf walls by Finite Element analysis and experiment. Proceedings of the 22nd International Specialty Conference on Cold-formed Steel Structures, p. 525-539, St. Louis, USA.
- Nguyen, V.B., (2013). Finite Element Analysis of cold roll forming products and processes. MSC Software Webinar and Simulation Reality Magazine, March 2013.
- Nguyen, V.B., Wang, C.J., Mynors, D.J., English, M.A., and Castellucci, M.A., (2012). Strength tests and design of cold-formed plain and dimpled steel columns. Proceedings of the 21st International Specialty Conference on Cold-formed Steel Structures. 2012, p. 127-142, St. Louis, USA.
I had 4 years working as a graduate engineer and then a principle engineer in several bridge engineering projects at the University of Transportation, Nippon Engineering Consultants Co. Ltd, Vietnam. I had prestigious internships with Tedi South, a leading consultant for civil and structural engineering services in Vietnam and with the construction of My Thuan Bridge, the first cable-stayed bridge in Vietnam.
I spent 7 years with Hadley Group Technology, Hadley Industries plc, working as a Research & Development Engineer where I committed to improve the structural performance of steel building products through the use of advanced methods including design codes (American, British and European codes), physical testing, analytical and numerical modelling using Finite Element Analysis. This included a 3-years KTP project where I worked as a research engineer associate linked with the University of Wolverhampton. My KTP project obtained an 'Outstanding' grade and nominated as a finalist for the Best KTP Award in 2013 by the UK Technology Strategy Board.
I am a guest lecturer at some universities in Vietnam.