Dr Ovidiu Bagdasar
Position: Lecturer in Mathematics
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Department: Computing and Mathematics
Subject area: Mathematics
Research Centre: Distributed and Intelligent Systems Centre for Research and Technology Transfer
- Computational Mathematics (Level 4 – Computer Science)
- Calculus (Level 4, Mathematics)
- Modelling with Differential Equations (Level 6 - Mathematics)
- Optimization (Level 7, MSc Computational Mathematics)
Programme Leader: MSc Computational Mathematics
Maths&Computing: Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinator
Placement Tutor: Mathematics students (2012-).
Motto: "All what is correct thinking is either mathematics or feasible to be transposed in a mathematical model." (G. Moisil 1906 - 1973)
- Discover new Mathematical results
- Communicate Mathematics to a wider audience
- Use research to transform the student experience
- Inspire students to engage and improve their performance
- Use emerging technologies to transform learning, teaching and assessment
- Develop national and international partnerships for research and student mobility (e.g. Erasmus+)
- Generate results with significant theoretical and applicable implications
- Develop a research team to work on Recurrences and Optimization
- Recurrent sequences and their applications
- Counting problems and Combinatorics
- Optimisation and Convex Analysis
- Mathematical Inequalities
- Mathematical modelling
- AMS - American Mathematical Society - Member
- KMS - Korean Mathematical Society
- SSMR - Romanian Mathematical Society
- IMA - Institute of Mathematics and its Applications - Member
- Fellow of HEA - Higher Education Academy
- Reviewer for Mathematical Reviews
- Reviewer for the Journal of Integer Sequences
- Editor for the Octogon Mathematical Magazine, Romania
- Member of CDAM and DISYS research groups at the University of Derby.
- External collaborator of the Analysis and Optimization Research Group, UBB Cluj, Romania
- 2012 – 2013: PG Cert HE, University of Derby
- 2012 - Post-graduate Research Supervisor
- 2007 – 2015: PhD, Pure Mathematics, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj Napoca, RO
- 2007 – 2011: PhD, Applied Mathematics, University of Nottingham, UK
- 2007 – 2010: EST Marie Curie Fellow, University of Nottingham, UK
- 2006 – 2007: MSc (distinction), Real and Complex Analysis (10/10)
- 2002 – 2006: BSc Hons (1st), Mathematics, UBB, Cluj, RO (9.97/10)
- QTS: July 2006- Present (Qualified Mathematics Teacher, all levels)
- O. B., Concise Computer Mathematics: Tutorials on Theory and Problems, Springer Briefs in Computer Science, 2013.
- O. B., N. Popovici: Extremal properties of generalized convex vector functions, Journal of Nonlinear Convex Analysis, to appear (2016)
- O. B., P.J. Larcombe and, A. Anjum, On the structure of periodic complex Horadam sequences, Carpathian J Math, to appear (2016).
- O. B., N. Popovici, Local maximum points of explicitly quasiconvex functions, Optimization Letters, Vol. 9(4), 769-777 (2015)
- O. B., On some functions involving the lcm and gcd of integer tuples, Appl Math Inform and Mech, Vol 6(2), 91-100 (2014)
- O. B. and P.J. Larcombe, On the characterization of periodic Horadam sequences, J Differ Equ App, 1069-1090 (2014)
- P.J. Larcombe, O. B., and E.J. Fennessey, On a Result of Bunder Involving Horadam Sequences: A New Proof, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 52(2), 175-177 (2014)
- O. B. and P.J. Larcombe, On the number of complex Horadam sequences with a fixed period, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 51(4), 339-347 (2013)
- O. B., P.J. Larcombe, A. Anjum, Particular orbits of periodic Horadam sequences, Octogon Math Mag, 21 (1) (2013)
- P.J. Larcombe, O. B., and E.J. Fennessey, On a Result of Bunder Involving Horadam Sequences: A Proof And Generalization, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 51(2), 174-176 (2013)
- O. B. and P.J. Larcombe, On the characterization of periodic Horadam sequences, Fibonacci Quart, Vol. 51(1), 28-37 (2013)
- P.J. Larcombe, O. B., and E.J. Fennessey, Horadam Sequences: A Survey, Bulletin of the ICA, 67 (2013)
- O. B., M. Bencze, J.L. Díaz-Barrero, Blind men and the Hypercubes, Missouri J Math Sci, 23 (1), 19-26 (2011)
- O. B., Complementary inequalities involving the Stolarsky mean, J Inequal Appl, Vol. 2010, Art. No. 492570, 10pp (2010)
- O. B., D. Valcan, Generalizations of some divisibility relations in N, Creat Math Inform, 18, 92-99 (2009)
- O. B., Inequalities for chains of normalized sums, JIPAM, 9, 7pp (2008).
- O. B., The Extension Of a Cyclic Inequality to the Symmetric Form, JIPAM, 9, 10pp (2008).
- O. B. and M. Chen, A Horadam-based Pseudo-random number generator, Proceeding of UKSim-AMSS 16th (2014).
- M. Trovati and O. B., Influence Discovery in Semantic Networks: An Initial Approach, Proceeding of UKSim-AMSS 16th (2014).
- O. B., Using Computer Tests to Teach Mathematics - A Study Case, 4th International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", Romania (2013).
- O. B., The Number of Pairs of Integers with the Same lcm, 3rd International Symposium "Mathematical Education in the Current European Context", Romania (2012).
Invited lectures and seminars
- 2 December 2015: IMA East Midlands branch talk: "Mathematics of beauty: On infinity, fractals and recurrent sequences", Nottingham Trent University
- 2 April 2015: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics:
- Mechanics and Astronomy Research Seminar (30 min): "The role of lubrication in cell adhesion: deterministic results and simulations for a simplified theoretical cell model"
- Complex Analysis Research Seminar (30 min): "On the geometric patterns produced by Horadam sequences in the complex plane"
- Analysis and Optimization Research Seminar (60 min): Extremal properties of generalized convex vector-valued functions
- 7 March 2015: Early Career Mathematicians' Spring Conference, University of Sheffield: How to be happy while solving (other people's) problems
- 20 February 2015: TCS Research Group, Loughborough University: "Complex Horadam sequences: periodicity, enumeration and applications"
- 16 February 2015: Guest Lecture for Subjects in Computer Science, University of Derby: "On the Visualisation of Number Sequences"
- 22 August 2014: Hanbat National University, South Korea: "Mathematics of beauty: on recurrences and emotions"
- 30 May 2014: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics, Interdisciplinary seminar: "On the Mathematics of beauty"
- 29 May 2014: UBB Cluj, Romania, Faculty of Mathematics, "On some properties and applications of Horadam sequences"
- 29 October 2013: Open University Mathematics Seminar, "The geometric patterns of complex Horadam sequences"
- 26 April 2013: SSMI, "Applied Mathematics: from life to formulas"
Conference presentations and posters
- 17-20 September 2015: ICTAMI 2015, (Talk: "On Arithmetic Functions and Integer Tuples with the Same LCM")
- 6-10 July 2015: 25th BCC (Talk: "Enumeration of periodic Horadam sequences")
- 13-21 August 2014: ICM 2014, Seoul, Korea, On the enumeration of periodic generalized Horadam sequences (talk)
- 6-11 August 2014: ANTS XI, Korea, On certain computational and geometric properties of Horadam orbits (poster)
- 26-28 March 2014: UKSim2014, Cambridge, UK (Talk, Session Chair)
- 1-5 July 2013: 24th BCC (Talk: "Enumeration of periodic Horadam sequences")
- 1-7 July 2010: ESOF 2010 (European Science Open Forum), Italy (poster)
- 26-28 March 2015: Chair of "The Knowledge Triangle: Mathematics Applied to Industry", within the Exploratory Workhop on "Internationalization of Higher Education: Challenges and Rewards", Alba Iulia, Romania
New Erasmus+ links:
1. Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj Napoca, Romania (Mathematics and Computer Science): Erasmus+@UBB (Dec 2014)
2. "1 DECEMBRIE 1918" University, Romania (Computer Science, Mathematics, Business): Erasmus+@UAB (Dec 2014)
3. Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey (Mathematics): Erasmus+@Bogazici (Nov 2015)
4. University of Maribor, Slovenia (Mathematics): Erasmus+@Maribor (Dec 2015)
- March 2015: UAB Romania, Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2015: UBB Cluj, Romania
- January 2016: UAB Romania, Alba Iulia, Romania (visited first Erasmus+ Maths student from Derby)
- May 2015 - Professor Nicolae Popovici - UBB Cluj, Romania
- March 2016 - Dr Ioan Lucian Popa, UAB Alba Iulia, Romania
- May 2016 - Professor Nicolae Popovici - UBB Cluj Romania