Mr Luke Gibson
Position: Programme Leader FdSc Sport Coaching Lecturer in Sports Coaching & Development
College: College of Life & Natural Sciences
Department: Life Sciences
Subject area: Sport and Exercise
I teach on a range of modules on both the BSc Sports Coaching and FdSc Sports Coaching programmes. Additionally, I am currently registered on a part time PhD by Traditional Route, investigating Managerial and Organisational Change in Professional Football. I also supervise a cohort of Independent Study students.
- Programme Leader for FdSc Sport Coaching
- Independent Study Supervision (Level 6)
- Introduction to Sport Coaching (Level 4)
- Human Performance (Level 4)
- Populations in Sport, Health & Exercise (Level 5)
- Adaptive Physical Activity & Coaching (Level 6)
- Sport & Physical Activity Development (Level 5)
- Research & Academic Skills (Level 4)
- Professional Development in Sport (Level 5).
- Coaching in Professional/Semi-Professional Football
- Talent Development.
- Managing Change in Professional Football
- Complex Systems Theory in Football
- Coaching Pedagogy
- Athlete Learning
- Talent Development.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- BA (Hons) Coaching and Sport Development, Manchester Metropolitan University.
- MA Exercise and Sport, Manchester Metropolitan University.
- UEFA B Licence in Coaching Football
- FA Youth Module One
- FA Futsal Level One.
Gibson, L., Groom, R., Draper, N. (2015) Understanding the actions and behaviours of coaches during managerial and organisational change in professional football. Poster presentation at College of Life and Natural Sciences Research Conference 2015. [Poster].
- Gibson, L., Groom, R., Nelson, L., & Potrac, P. (2011). Ambiguity, Manageability, and Orchestration: Implementing and Coping with Complex Organisational Change in Elite Soccer. Sports and Coaching: Pasts and Futures, Crewe, UK, 25th June 2011.
Currently working in the industry as a part time U16's Academy Football Coach at Bury FC and 1st Team Manager at Abbey Hey FC.
- Youth Development Phase Coach - Bury FC (2014 - Present)
- Foundation Phase Coach – Bury FC (2010 – 2014)
- 1st Team Manager - Abbey Hey FC (2013 – Present)
- Community Football Coach – Crewe Alexandra Football Club (2009 – 2010)
- Casual Coach – Isle of Man Sports Development Unit (2007 – 2009).