Position: Deputy Department Head / Head of Diagnostic Imaging
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Health Care Practice
Subject area: Diagnostic Imaging, Radiography
I currently work as the Deputy Department Head for the Department of Health Care Practice, and the Discipline Lead for Diagnostic Radiography at the University of Derby. I have worked at the University as a Senior Lecturer since 2006. Before joining the University I worked as a Diagnostic Radiographer in the NHS for approximately 10 years, specialising in CT and MRI scanning.
I am an Executive Board Member of Health Watch Derbyshire. I have a role as an External Examiner for an undergraduate radiography programme at another UK university. I am a peer reviewer for the 'Radiography' journal.
Relate primarily to my specialism in CT and MRI, but also include communication, professionalism, leadership & governance.
Transition to placement, Placement support, CT, MRI, Cross Sectional Anatomy, Professional issues, Using NLP in communication.
I am interested in the student experience, particularly around the transition to clinical placement, and have carried out several research projects around this.
I am also interested in the use of Technology Enhanced Learning methodologies (such as blogs, wiki's, podcasts etc) in learning.
- Society of Radiographers
- Health & Care Professions Council
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography, Sheffield Hallam
- MA Education, University of Derby
Hyde, E. (2016) Easing the transition. Imaging & Therapy Practice. July 2016
Hyde, E. (2015) A critical evaluation of student radiographers' experience of the transition from the classroom to their first clinical placement. Radiography. Vol 21, Issue 3, Pg 242-247
Hyde, E. (2013) Managing Student Expectations: what do prospective student radiographers expect from their programme of study at one university? Imaging & Therapy Practice. April 2013
Hyde, E. (2013) Talking Results – trialling an audio-visual feedback method for e-submissions. Innovations in Higher Education. Vol 1, Issue 3
- Hyde, E. (2016) Easing the transition; the importance of high quality mentorship in placement support [Poster]. Presented at UK Radiological Congress. 6-8 June 2016
- Hyde, E. (2014) Educational Zag: An innovative approach to assessment [Paper]. Presented at the Achieving Excellence in Radiography Education & Research conference. 21-22 November 2014
- Hyde, E. (2014) A smoother ride: facilitating the transition from classroom to clinical placement [Paper]. Presented at Networking in Healthcare Education conference. 2-4 September 2014.
- Hyde, E. (2014) Easing the transition from classroom to clinical placement [Paper]. Presented at European First Year Experience conference. 9-11 June 2014.
- Hyde, E & Partner, A. (2014) Using social media to promote the Radiography subject area [Poster]. Presented at UK Radiological Congress. 9-11 June 2014.
- Hyde, E. & Nicklin, M (2012) Placement Package Provides Promise [Poster]. Exhibited at NET2012 conference. 4-6 September 2012.
I undertake regular clinical update days to keep my knowledge and skills up to date.
I worked as a Diagnostic Radiographer for nearly 10 years before moving into higher education. During my clinical time I worked at Nottingham City Hospital, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary and Leicester Royal Infirmary, so I have lots of links in the departments we send our students to.