Your finances

Tuition fees and living costs

Once you’re here you have two main costs to consider – tuition fees and living costs.

Tuition fees pay for your teaching, mandatory study trips and access to core textbooks through our library and vary depending on whether you are undergraduate or postgraduate, studying part time or full time, and whether you are a UK, EU or international student.

Living costs are on average £190-£230 per week and include accommodation, food and socialising.

You can apply for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan to help with living costs. You don’t have to start paying your loans back until you’ve graduated and your salary has reached a specific amount.

Undergraduate funding

If you are a UK national or have 'settled status' and normally live in England, you will be able to take out a loan to pay for all of your tuition fees. You’ll also be able to take out a loan to help pay for your living costs.

If you study in Derby, the maximum you'll currently get for living costs for the 2023/2024 academic year is: 

You will need to pay these loans back but not until your salary is over a certain amount.

Your applications may take up to six weeks. Please apply as soon as possible to avoid any delays.

Postgraduate funding

If you are a postgraduate student, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate masters loan.


The University Bursary is available to new undergraduate students entering higher education for the first time from September 2023 onwards. 

Eligible students will receive up to £1,000 per academic year, made up of £900 and a £100 student resource e-card. 

We have a range of scholarships, bursaries and discounts available to international students

Please note our bursaries for the academic year 2024/25 are currently under review.

Our friendly Student Money Advice and Rights Team (SMART) are on hand to offer advice. You can get in touch by emailing

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

If you have a long term health or mental health condition, disability, or a specific learning difference (SpLD) such as dyslexia or ADHD, then you might be entitled to further government funding through Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).  This funding is available to support you during your studies. We encourage our students to apply early to avoid delays. 

To find out if you’re eligible and for further information about how to apply, visit the government website.

If you have any queries or concerns about this funding, or you’d like to make further enquiries about support, please contact Student Services, available Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm:

Tel: 01332 593000


Orange fullscreen background with white text "disabled students' allowances'.

View Funding for students with disabilities and other needs video transcript