This course is delivered via work-based learning so all students should be competing or have a coaching/analysis role in a partnered sporting academy.
- You’ll learn from our expert teaching team who are actively involved in research, high-performance sport and applied sport science consultancy. They are also members of leading professional bodies
- You’ll gain invaluable knowledge, applied experience, practical and technological skills to help you support athletes’ training
- This course has been designed in partnership with industry leaders, to equip you with the skills that employers are looking for
- You’ll spend most of your time in our Sports Centre, using our state-of-the-art biomechanics and performance analysis suite
- This flexible course allows you to continue to train on a full-time basis
Performance golf programme
In partnership with the Performance Golf Academy Derby you will be trained to develop your golfing skills to the highest level possible, equipping you with the necessary tools to pursue a career as a professional golfer, as well as undertake a foundation degree in sport and performance analysis.
Our experienced team of golf coaches will be on hand to deliver technical long and short game, physical, psychological, bio-mechanical, performance measurement and lifestyle support to help take their games to a higher level. Additionally, you will have access to cutting edge technology in the University's Human Performance Unit, which includes state-of-the-art high speed cameras and force-plate platforms for biomechanical assessment.
Performance football programme
The programme partners with Hyde United FC Academy, Buxton FC Academy and Foxes Soccer Academy. As a player at one of these academies, you will train and play on a full-time basis and be coached by UEFA qualified coaches alongside gaining your Foundation degree in Sport Performance & Analysis.
FdSc Sport Performance and Analysis
Watch Programme Leader, Dr Luke Gibson, talk about our FdSc Sport Performance and Analysis course, including what careers our graduates have gone on, the skills you will develop and our opportunities for professional development:
Sport and Exercise Science - your questions answered
In the below video, Head of Discipline for Sport and Exercise Science, Andy Hooton, answers some of the most frequently asked questions about Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Derby. You can also watch exclusive subject content by signing up to Derby on Demand.
You will study the same modules in Stage 1 and Stage 2. The focus at Stage 1 will be around knowledge and understanding of sport science, performance analysis and coaching. At Stage 2 the emphasis shifts to the application of sport science, performance analysis and coaching principles to improve the performance of a player or athlete.
- Applied Coaching & Training 1: This module will give an understanding of your different coaching styles and behaviours when designing and delivering coaching sessions, along with an understanding of different types of practice design and coaching interventions. You will also gain 100 hours work-based learning in this module.
- Vocational & Experiential Development 1: This module will focus on the professional development of the preparation for your career within the sporting industry. You will be required to gain 100 hours in an industry placement as part of your work placement. You may also wish to gain an industry qualification as part of your work placement. The module will allow you to reflect on current issues within the chosen industry on both a macro and micro level and consider your professional development for a career in your chosen industry.
- Integrated Sport Science 1: You will gain an understanding of the scientific knowledge, and skills different applied sport science disciplines such as biomechanics, psychology, physiology, nutrition and performance analysis that can enhance athlete performance. Students will develop their understanding of the professional and personal qualities needed to work in this area.
- Applied Coaching & Training 2: This module will allow you to develop your understanding of applied concepts around talent identification and development within the coaching practice. Specifically, you will have the opportunity to evaluate your ability to apply different practical approaches and methods related to improving the identification and development of the athlete. This opportunity will be available through the requirement of completing 100 hours of work-based learning in addition to the traditional theory-based lectures. Moreover, you will gain an insight into developing your own beliefs around talent identification and development and how such beliefs influence the design and delivery of the coaching practice.
- Vocational & Experiential Development 2: This module will enable you to continue to reflect on your own fit within the industry and aid you to gain an increased focus on your future career. This module gives you the basics of recognising skills and knowledge and the tools needed to continually gain, improve and develop through working life. You will have the opportunity to consider the working lives of practitioners in an elite environment. You will also consider the collaborative nature of different sport science and coaching disciplines and working relationships of these disciplines to enhance performance of a player or athlete. Such an understanding will be acquired through the completion of 100 hours of work-placement.
- Integrated Sport Science 2: This module will further your understanding of the different applied sport science disciplines and how specialists from each discipline may collaborate together to enhance athlete performance in an elite environment, along with an understanding of the most pertinent disciplines that contribute to performance in the sport of your choice.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
This programme includes traditional academic study with practical application and work-based learning to offer a unique experience. This course is delivered in blocks and can be designed to meet your needs.
How you will be assessed
You will be assessed through written reports, portfolios, oral presentations and practical assessments at both our Kedleston Road site and your academy setting.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
These are the typical qualification requirements for September 2022 entry.
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|Access to HE||Pass Access to HE Diploma with 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 and 15 at Level 2|
English language requirements
IELTS: 6.0 (with at least 5.5 in each skills area)
2022/23 Fees (August 2022 - July 2023)
£9,250 per year
£14,045 per year
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
How to apply
Please look at our application deadlines before you apply
Full-time students applying to start this course in September should apply directly to the University if you’re not applying to any other UK university in the same year.
Apply directly to the University
Upon completion of the course, you will be given the opportunity to progress onto our BSc (Hons) Performance Analysis and Coaching Science.
You could also go on to pursue a career in football or other professional sports roles such as: academy coach, performance analyst, sport scientist or strength and conditioning coach. These roles are also applicable if you choose the golf route along with careers such as Qualified PGA Professional, Golf Club Management, Director of Golf, Golf retail, Golf equipment manufacturers, National Governing Bodies or playing on professional tours.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
Additional information about your studies
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Please also note that due to the current Covid-19 situation, if your course offers fieldtrips, the location of these may change or be cancelled. If this happens, you will be communicated to in advance and we will do our very best to seek out other practical opportunities to ensure your experience is not affected.
The information below is correct for entry in the academic year September 2021 - August 2022 only. Entry for future academic years may be subject to change.
Included in your fees
- To welcome you to our team, you willl receive a University of Derby, Sport and Exercise Science t-shirt
- If a DBS check is needed for the purposes of a module or programme related work placement, this is included in your fee if done via the University
- We will contribute to or pay the full cost of additional qualifications which are arranged by us.
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- If not already owned, appropriate clothing for practical sessions such as tracksuit bottoms and trainers - approximate cost is £50-£100
- Two bound copies of Independent Study (dissertation) - approximate cost is £12
- Travel to placements - cost varies depending on your placement venue of choice
Optional costs not included in your fees
- You may wish to purchase optional textbooks or e-books to support your studies - costs for these are dependent on your choice
- To support your studies, you may want to invest in additional qualifications such as a Sports Massage Qualification, Kinesiotaping or Safeguarding - costs will vary depending on your choice
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.