Interested in studying spa management but can’t commit to a full-time degree programme? Already working in the industry and want to keep earning as you learn? Our part-time route to the BSc (Hons) International Spa Management could be just the opportunity you’re looking for.
This course is accepting applications for 2019 entry.
- Balance your degree studies with your other commitments and enjoy flexible learning which fits around you
- Achieve your qualification through a combination of online and on-campus learning: you will spend just three days per module at the University
- Set yourself apart as a high-calibre spa professional, with management and leadership abilities to complement your technical skills
- Learn how to meet exacting professional standards: we run our own award-winning commercial day spa based in Buxton’s magnificent Devonshire Dome. The Spa has recently been named 'Best Luxury Emerging Spa' in Northern Europe at the World Luxury Spa Awards 2017
- Use your own workplace for research and case studies, undertaking projects which deliver lasting benefits for your organisation and its clients
- Draw on our impressive employer links to benefit from networking opportunities, guest lectures and access to real-world projects
- View the industry from a global perspective and explore new trends such as wellness tourism
- Discover the latest treatments and therapies using exclusive brands
- Receive extensive support from a teaching team with strong industry backgrounds and a significant research profile
- Become a member of hosco, the world’s leading hospitality careers network for students and graduates
As a trailblazer in spa management education, we have put many students on the path to career success in what is a vibrant and burgeoning industry. Now we have extended the same exciting opportunities to students who would prefer to take a part-time route to our acclaimed BSc (Hons) International Spa Management.
Re-energise your career plans
Our part-time degree is designed for anyone who wants to continue in employment while working towards a highly regarded degree qualification. It is an excellent way to raise your professional profile, prepare for more senior roles and boost your prospects for promotion.
This course also opens up new opportunities for anyone considering a change of career so they can join the next generation of spa professionals. Now is the ideal time: the spa industry is undergoing remarkable growth worldwide. Between 2013 and 2015 alone, 16,000 more spas opened, creating 230,000 new jobs. Today the industry represents a global market worth $98.6 billion.*
Whatever your career ambitions, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential. You will develop your management abilities and business acumen alongside your skills in delivering professional spa treatments and first class customer service. At the same time, you will explore all the new trends, values and practices which are shaping the future of the profession worldwide.
*Global Wellness Institute
The flexible way to study
The part-time BSc (Hons) International Spa Management entails a combination of online and on-campus learning, backed by full support and guidance from our expert staff. For each module, you will spend three days learning at our Buxton campus, getting to know your lecturers and your fellow students – an excellent way to network and create your own study support groups.
We recommend that you study three modules (or 60 credits) per year. However, if you wish, you can fast track your learning and study more than three modules per year, subject to availability.
As a part-time student, you may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to fund your studies. Find out more at www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students
Award-winning facilities in an ideal location
Located in the vibrant spa, wellness and hospitality town of Buxton, it is little surprise that we were the first university to launch a spa management degree. Tourists have been coming to ‘take the waters’ in Buxton for over 500 years and the town is now building on that legacy with the restoration of its stunning Crescent as the Peak District’s first five-star thermal spa and wellness hotel.
Our campus includes the Devonshire Spa, named ‘Day Spa of the Year’ 2016 by Professional Beauty magazine. No other university boasts such a highly rated real-world learning environment.
The spa features a sauna, aroma steam room, hydrotherapy pool, ice fountain, reflexology foot baths and hammam. We are the only UK university approved to use and retail the full treatment offering of prestigious international brands ishga, Caudalie and [comfort zone]. We also work closely with Jessica and Mii.
In this inspirational setting, you will learn more about the different functions which go into the running of a top-class commercial spa, such as budgeting, human resource management, facilities management and retailing.
Apply your learning in your own workplace
If you are already employed within the spa industry, you can draw on your role and experiences to put your learning into context. Case studies, research and applied projects based on your workplace add real value and meaning to your studies. They not only contribute to your continuing professional development but can also help improve the efficiency and performance of your organisation.
As part of the course, you will build your research skills, investigate the challenges facing the industry and devise effective solutions to those challenges. In your final year, this culminates in an independent study or project on a theme of your choice. You can explore examples from your own working environment as the subject for your dissertation.
Powerful professional networks
We work closely with leading spa and hospitality providers, including Macdonald Hotels, Six Senses Hotel Resort Spas, Center Parcs, Handpicked Hotels, Neilson Active Holidays, and the Dorchester Collection.
Our alliances with the UK Spa Association, the International Spa Association (ISPA), the Global Wellness Summit (GWS) and the International Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Education (THE-ICE) also help keep you abreast of new developments in the industry.
Prominent industry figures regularly join networking events hosted on our campus. You could, for instance, attend our annual Buxton Spa and Wellness Conference as a delegate, making valuable contacts with professionals from around the world.
When you join us, you automatically become a member of hosco, the world’s leading hospitality network offering access to around 30,000 graduate roles, internships and work experience opportunities from over 1,500 employers.
To complete the BSc (Hons) International Spa Management (Part-Time), you will study modules such as:
Years one and two
- Introduction to Higher Education
- Marketing and Communication
- The Global Spa and Wellness Concept
- Spa Consumption: Theory and Practice
- Treatment Philosophy and Physiology
- Advanced Treatment Philosophy and Physiology
Years three and four
- Research Skills
- Business Development and Entrepreneurship
- Management and Leadership
- Spa Facilities and Operations Supervision
- Spa Financial Performance
- Making a Difference in the Workplace
Years five and six
- Consumer Behaviour
- Strategic Management
- Spa Operation Management
- Wellness Tourism
- Independent Study (double module)
Flexibility and convenience
This is a part-time course which can easily be combined with your work duties. While your studies will mainly take place online, for each module you will also spend blocks of three days learning at our Buxton campus.
Your subject knowledge will be developed through lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops, applied practice sessions and online learning.
Throughout the course, you are also encouraged to apply your learning to your workplace where appropriate, using relevant and meaningful case studies from your own organisation. You could also engage with our programme of guest speakers, conferences, industry days, fieldtrips, networking events, competitions and challenges.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||112 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
No specific subject requirements
|Specific requirements at GCSE||N/A|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - DMM
- Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
As a BSc (Hons) International Spa Management graduate, you will be able to offer employers a powerful mix of theoretical knowledge, technical skills and work-related experience.
You will be well placed to advance to more senior, supervisory and management posts within your organisation or to branch out into new areas of specialism. As well as roles such as spa manager, spa operations supervisor or head therapist, our graduates are equipped for success in areas like brand account management, marketing and promotion, training and consultancy.
You will also find that new opportunities are emerging in the wellness industry which is on the cusp of becoming a major area of employment in the UK.
Graduate success stories
Among many success stories from our latest group of graduates:
- Sophie Thorne secured her first role as Spa Manager for the Shrewsbury Club under Imagine Spa Management Services
- Lelia Fiastru became an Account Development Executive for Elemis
- Poppy Robinson took up a position as Spa Manager for Bannatynes
- Ieva Glaveckaite is undertaking a management internship with Four Seasons Hotels in Prague
Take your learning to the next level
Once you have achieved your honours degree, you may also want to consider a postgraduate course, such as our MSc International Spa Management which was the first of its kind in the world.
Ongoing careers support
We’re committed to improving your employability at every stage of your studies. Our teaching staff join forces with the Careers and Employment Service to deliver workshops on subjects such as networking and effective use of social media.
The support continues once you’ve graduated too: you are entitled to further help and guidance for up to three years after leaving the University. You can also take full advantage of the hosco careers network to discover opportunities and share good practice with other professionals.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- One spa uniform. Approximate value £60
- All spa products required for pratical classes
- Level 4 residential field trip including all essential travel, accommodation and breakfast, and spa use
- Level 5 residential field trip, including all essential travel, accommodation and entry fees
- First Aid certificate Approximate
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Flip flops
- Black and flat back shoes for practical training
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Optional international field trip to a new destination annually, approximate cost £500. Including travel, accommodation and breakfast, and any entry fees
- Any travel to and from airport must be funded and organised individually
- Study & work abroad opportunities, costs vary depending on destination. If travelling in Europe, students may be eligible for up to €250 a month maintenance grant through the Erasmus programme
- Optional attendance at the Spa Life Conference, approximate cost £100
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.