There is a substantial demand for capable engineers in the high-tech world of motorsport. Our dedicated MEng Motorsport Engineering will put you on the fast track to a dynamic career at the highest level in this global industry.
- Combine undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a single four-year programme, so that you graduate with a masters degree
- Gain the ideal preparation for roles across the industry, including Formula 1
- Achieve the underpinning knowledge for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Learn in the outstanding environment of our new STEM Centre where you will have latest technologies at your fingertips
- Benefit from the expertise of well-qualified and highly experienced teaching staff who will ensure your learning is up to date and directly relevant to the industry
- Take part in exciting projects like Formula Student, the world’s biggest student motorsport competition.
- Employable Graduates – we’re ranked 15th highest amongst all UK universities and 12th for English institutions with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: HESA 2016.
Highly specialist and distinctive, our MEng Motorsport Engineering will equip you with the skills and confidence to set you apart in the eyes of prospective employers. It enables you to move smoothly from undergraduate to masters level learning in a single study programme.
Go further, faster
Our MEng is designed as a flexible course which will take you above the level of a traditional degree. You will initially study Motorsport Engineering at honours degree level and then build on that platform of knowledge with further study at postgraduate level.
You will graduate fully equipped with all the appropriate skills to practise successfully as a professionally recognised engineer within the motorsport industry globally. You will also have the underpinning knowledge for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
A broad base of knowledge
Current roles within the motorsport engineering industry are extremely technologically challenging, with ever-increasing paces of change and development. Larger motorsport teams and industrial suppliers now operate on a global scale.
The MEng qualification will help you to meet the challenges presented by this constant drive for improvement. Designed with guidance from leading professional bodies, it enhances your understanding of engineering principles so that you can make crucial decisions about complex areas of technology, environment, materials selection and failure analysis. You will also be skilled in assessing the most appropriate and cost-effective use of both time and resources.
You will explore all the relevant technologies and their applications across the complete range of modules on the programme. Your studies will also be underpinned by academic concepts and practical work so that you have the right level of competence for a career that will take you far.
Please note that our modules are subject to change - we review the content of our courses regularly, making changes where necessary to improve your experience and graduate prospects.
You will be assessed using a mixture of in-course assessments, case studies, presentations, reality-based assessments, examinations and professional presentations.
Personal academic tutoring
Your personal academic tutor will work with you to help you get the most out of your time at university. Having someone to talk to about your academic progress, your university experience and your professional aspirations is hugely valuable. We want you to feel challenged in your studies, stretched but confident to achieve your academic and professional goals.
Find out more about personal academic tutoring
September 2020 typical entry requirements
|Requirement||What we're looking for|
|UCAS points||128 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
At least a C in Maths at A-level (or equivalent qualification), and at least one other Science or Technology A-level
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|IELTS||6.0 (with 5.5 in each skills area)|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications
- BTEC - DDM
- Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
£9,250 per year*
£14,045 per year
* The fees stated above are for the 2019/20 academic year; fees for 2020/21 have not yet been confirmed by the UK government. We will update this information as soon as it is available.
Further information about our fees and support you may be entitled to.
Additional costs and optional extras
This is a new programme introduced in 2017. Previous graduates from our BEng programme have followed careers not only in Formula 1, but also in a wide variety of other motorsport areas. Roles have ranged from data technician to chassis designer to team boss. Students who are prepared to work hard invariably do extremely well in their careers after graduation.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Four years with the opportunity for an optional placement year
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, excellent facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- Use of fully equipped motorsport workshops
- PPE kits (safety boot, safety googles and ear plugs), one T-shirt
- Fieldtrips and visits (depending on trip requirements costs can vary)
- Industry speakers
- Small allowance for final year project
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Equipment approx. £30
- T-shirt approx. £30
- Workshop Materials approx. £120
- Industry Visits approx. £70
- Additional expenses for final year project approx. £50
- Printing approx. £120
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Personal computer or tablet computer approx. £400
- Printing/presentation costs approx. £400
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.