Take your ambitions as a mechanical engineer to the next level with this far-reaching MEng programme. It puts you on the fast track to challenging andrewarding roles at the forefront of engineering development.
- Mechanical Engineering has been ranked in the Top 20 in The Guardian University Guide 2019
- Combine undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a single four-year programme, so that you graduate with a masters degree
- Achieve the underpinning knowledge you need for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Learn in the state-of-the-art surroundings of our brand new STEM Centre
- Gain vital experience of current practices, systems and techniques: we support you to find relevant optional work placements
- Be inspired by our well-qualified and highly experienced teaching team
- Enjoy invaluable industry insights through a guest lecture programme featuring leading engineering professionals
- Work on exciting extra-curricular projects, such as the Shell Eco-marathon, to broaden your horizons
- Employable Graduates – we’re ranked 15th highest amongst all UK universities and 12th for English institutions with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: HESA 2016.
Developed with guidance from relevant professional bodies, our MEng Mechanical Engineering is a flexible course taking you from undergraduate to masters level learning and giving you the underpinning knowledge for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Designed to meet demand
Specialist and distinctive, this programme has been developed to provide you with wide-ranging skills, knowledge and confidence for a career within the mechanical engineering sector. It is also geared to meet the specific demands of industry and leading professional bodies.
By choosing Derby, you will study in a city which is regarded as the home of the mechanical engineer, with renowned companies such as Rolls Royce, Toyota and Bombardier on the doorstep.
A balanced approach
The MEng strikes an equitable balance between underpinning academic concepts, practical work and the techniques necessary for a successful career in mechanical engineering.
You will build a knowledge base in the fundamental principles and constraints associated with mechanical engineering and how technology can be applied within an industrial engineering context. This enables you to make well-informed decisions concerning design and the selection of functional elements, materials and processes as well as the appropriate and most cost-effective use of time and resources.
Well prepared for future success
Roles within the mechanical industries are extremely technologically challenging today, with ever-increasing paces of change and development. The larger industries predominantly now operate on a global scale.
As a MEng graduate, you will be ideally equipped to meet the challenges presented by the constant search for improvement and the relentless pace of development that characterise these industries.
We place great emphasis on the development of management skills throughout the programme, and we encourage you to secure work placements within relevant industries to strengthen your knowledge and enhance your experience.
The programme features a number of additional opportunities to broaden your experience and enhance your industry insights. We run a guest lecture programme in conjunction with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, with lectures held at either our Markeaton Street site or at Loughborough University.
The University also has a strong track record in the Shell Eco-Marathon competition, one of the world’s leading energy efficiency competition programmes. Our Mechanical Engineering Shell Eco Team was awarded sponsorship of £9,000 to build the prototype ethanol vehicle for the 2016 event. We also became involved in a partnership with Bombardier to build a scale locomotive for the IMechE Railway Challenge competition.
You will be assessed through a combination of in-course assessments, case studies, presentations, reality-based assessments, examinations and professional presentations.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||128 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level|
At least a C in Maths at A-level (or equivalent qualification), and at least one other Science or Technology A-level
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualitications
- BTEC - DDM
- Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
This is an exciting new programme offering excellent career prospects. Graduates from our current BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering have found employment in a wide variety of industries and areas, including positions at Rolls-Royce, Toyota, Bombardier and numerous other major industrial players in the UK and internationally.
If you need any more information from us, eg on courses, accommodation, applying, car parking, fees or funding, please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you.Contact us
† Additional information about your studies
Four years with the opportunity of an optional placement year
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Additional costs and optional extras
We’re committed to providing you with an outstanding learning experience. Our expert teaching, state-of-the-art facilities and great employability prepare you for your future career. As part of our commitment to you we aim to keep any additional study costs to a minimum. However, there are occasions where students may incur some additional costs.
Included in your fees
- Some educational software packages will be provided free
- Use of resources such as computer rooms, workshops and laboratories
- PPE kits (safety boots, safety googles and ear plugs)
- One industrial visit during induction week/first year
- Industry speakers
- Small allowance for final year project
Mandatory costs not included in your fees
- Additional Educational Software approx. £100
- Computer Accessories approx. £30
- Workshop material approx. £100
- Additional Industry visits approx. £40
- Additional expenses for final year project approx. £50
- Printing approx. £120
Optional costs not included in your fees
- Personal computer or tablet computer approx. £400
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.