- Choose to start at Foundation Year stage and you can achieve a valuable honours degree in four years
- Gain the skills and knowledge you need to make a real and immediate impact in your international business career
- Take a multidisciplinary approach to international business, drawing on economic analysis, strategy, law, finance, marketing and human resources
- Use the same real-time information and technology as top financial professionals worldwide – in our impressive new Bloomberg Financial Markets Lab
- Apply business theory to practice on placements and internships in the UK or overseas
- Take the chance to study abroad with one of our international partners
- Meet business experts, industry leaders and finance professionals through specialist workshops, masterclasses and networking events
- Draw on current real-world case studies to keep right up to date with latest developments in the global business arena
- Add substance to your CV with our exclusive Futures Award in Networking and Economic, Financial and Commercial Awareness in International Business which recognises the extra-curricular activities you undertake to improve your employability.
- Benefit from the support of a personal tutor throughout your degree
- If you want to continue your studies in international business at postgraduate level, this programme is explicitly paired to our MSc International Business or can lead smoothly on to our MSc International Business and Finance, MSc International Business and HRM or MSc International Business and Marketing.
If you have the ambition and ability to study International Business with us, the Foundation Year will help smooth your way to success.
The ideal introduction
We have designed the Foundation Year route especially for students who don’t meet the formal entry requirements to embark on our honours degree right now.
By starting with the Foundation Year, you’ll gain an invaluable introduction to business on a global scale, building your skills, knowledge and confidence so that you can complete the full BA (Hons) in four years.
From day one, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of being a University of Derby student and you won’t need to apply again to complete your full BA (Hons) degree. Once you pass the Foundation Year, you will be able to progress directly to stage one of the degree.
Meet the challenge of change
From the repercussions of the global financial crisis to the impact of Brexit, from the emergence of new international markets to complex trade regulations, this is an exciting time to study International Business.
Our degree will equip you with the high-level skills and in-depth knowledge you need to deal with change in the global business arena. You will gain a full appreciation of the economic, financial, political, legal and cultural factors facing international organisations.
We place a strong emphasis on applied economic analysis and developing your capacity for critical thinking. Throughout, you will apply latest business and economic theory to the practicalities of the real world. You will also develop broader attributes which today’s employers expect, such as problem-solving, decision-making, report writing, research and presentation skills.
Use real-time data in your work
Our new Bloomberg Financial Markets Lab is the ideal setting for you to gain hands-on experience, working with the same information and technology used by financial professionals all over the world. As well as providing you with vital insights into trading floor activities and financial market analysis, it gives you access to latest data about companies across the globe.
We have invested in these exceptional learning facilities in partnership with Bloomberg, the global business and financial information leader. It puts a wealth of information at your fingertips, including company and director profiles plus analysis of current affairs from Bloomberg Intelligence.
You will receive training from Bloomberg specialists, have access to their helpdesk and can even work towards the Bloomberg Market Concepts Certificate alongside your degree to boost your professional profile.
Invaluable practical experience
Practical experience is vital if you are to be fully equipped for a career in the rapidly changing global business environment. As part of the BA (Hons) International Business, you will be encouraged to go on a placement or internship – at home or abroad – between stages two and three of your course. This will involve a minimum of a three-month summer internship or a maximum of a year-long placement.
We offer full support and guidance to help you find the right opportunity to match your career aspirations and interests. During your time in the workplace, you will receive visits from a tutor who will monitor your progress.
Add a new dimension to your CV
We encourage you to work towards an additional award which will showcase your versatility and professionalism to potential employers. Focused on employability, the Futures Award gives recognition to any extra-curricular activities you undertake to boost your career development, build your experience of networking and advance your leadership and consultancy skills.
Your Futures Award activities could entail attending workshops on CV design and improvement; developing techniques for interviews; preparing for assessment centres or psychometric tests; taking part in networking events; or leading a small project within a student society or voluntary role.
Take the chance to study abroad
Reflecting the international focus of this degree, we encourage all students to take the opportunity to study abroad. You could choose to study with one of our international partner institutions for a semester or a year, usually in stage two of your studies.
Alternatively, you can enjoy a taste of international study by joining one of the short visits abroad we organise each year.
Inspiring expertise, extensive support
Our teaching team is committed to helping you excel in your studies and putting you on the path to career success. They combine industry experience with wide-ranging research activities, publishing extensively on some of the most critical trends transforming international business today.
You will also benefit from our specially designed personal tutor system. You will meet your personal tutor during induction week and have at least three scheduled meetings with them each year. They will help you plan your personal and career development as well as supporting your work towards the Futures Award.
Become part of the wider business community
Thanks to our strong regional, national and international partnerships, employers are closely involved in shaping this course, delivering guest lectures, providing real-world case studies and giving vital advice to our students. This ensures your studies are always up to date and relevant.
You will also have the chance to join a range of societies at the University such as the Economics, Trading and Investment Society, the Business and Entrepreneurial Society and the Derby University Network of Entrepreneurs (DUNE).
Because Derby Business School attracts students from around the world, you will become part of a vibrant and highly diverse learning community where you can share experiences and ideas from different global perspectives.
Derby Business School brochure
You will study modules such as:
- Business Communication and Decision Making
- Contemporary Issues in Business
- Data Analysis for Business
- Study skills for Business
And you will choose two options from:
- Political Studies
- Fundamentals of Human Behaviour
If you don’t have either English or Maths GCSE, you will need to substitute one or two of the above for a module in English and/or Maths.
- Introductory Microeconomics
- Introductory Mathematics for Economics
- Academic Skills for Accounting, Finance and Business Economics
- Introduction to Macroeconomic Concepts and Data
- Market Failure Analysis
- Finance and Business Performance
- Data Analysis
- Applied Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Industrial Economics
- Current Debates in Applied Economic Theory
You will also choose two options from the following list:
- Asset Management
- Enterprise Management
- Applied Operations Management
- Managing Financial Resources
- People Resourcing and Talent Planning
- Public Relations and Media Management
Between stages two and three, you can choose to go on a year-long work placement, undertake a summer internship or take a study abroad option.
- International Business Economics and Strategy
- Global Talent Management
- Sustainable Development and International Business Law
You will also choose two options from the following list:
- Critical Analysis in an International Business Context
- Comparative International HRM
- Financial Risk Management
- The Lean Business Venture
- Marketing Across Cultures
- International Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
- Corporate Governance
- International Banking
- International Business Performance Appraisal
- International Entrepreneurship
- Managing the Evolving Employment Relationship
Real world learning is at the heart of this programme. The focus is on solving genuine business and organisational problems.
We use a compelling combination of interactive lectures, expert speakers, problem-solving seminars, group work, group discussion, workshops, case study analysis, computer lab work and practical analysis. Throughout your studies, you will also engage with businesses and external experts.
You may find yourself creating strategy documents, producing international business reports, delivering presentations and videos, or analysing information from Bloomberg on international markets and organisations.
At the start of the course you will benefit from substantial direction from our teaching team. As your studies progress, you are expected to work more independently, taking greater responsibility for your own learning – but always with the support and advice of your tutors.
September 2019 typical entry requirements
|UCAS points||72 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level||N/A|
|Specific requirements at GCSE|
GCSE Maths and English are preferred, however if you don't have these qualifications you will be able to undertake Maths and English at L2 as part of your course of study.
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC - MPP
- Pass Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at Level 3 and 15 at Level 2.
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University's general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we're looking for at Derby.
This distinctive degree will help set you apart as a forward-thinking, dynamic professional with a thorough understanding of current business and economic issues from a global perspective. It offers a broader and deeper business education than is available on many more traditional degrees. Further qualifications such as the Bloomberg Certificate and the Futures Award make an impressive addition to your CV too.
You will be ideally prepared for graduate management and consultancy training positions. You can look forward to senior roles in international trade, transport and logistics corporations, financial institutions involved with trade and investment, firms engaged with business process outsourcing, government agencies and international business consultancies – to name but a few areas.
Some of our graduates decide to take their studies to the next level. You can consider progressing to any of the exciting masters programmes offered by our College of Business, Law and Social Sciences – such as the MSc International Business, MSc International Business and Finance, MSc International Business and Marketing, MBA Global/ Global Finance or MSc International Business and HRM – and get a 10% alumni discount on your fees.
Ongoing careers support
We’re committed to improving your employability at every stage of your studies. Our Careers and Employment Service will provide you with help, guidance and support from day one of your course – and for up to three years after you’ve completed your studies.
† Additional information about your studies
5 years with optional placement year
Up to 8 years
Download programme specification
Like most universities, we operate extended teaching hours at the University of Derby, so contact time with your lecturers and tutors could be anytime between 9am and 9pm. Your timetable will usually be available on the website 24 hours after enrolment on to your course.
Please note: Our courses are refreshed and updated on a regular basis. If you are thinking about transferring onto this course (into the second year for example), you should contact the programme leader for the relevant course information as modules may vary from those shown on this page.