Our MEng equips you with a broad-based civil engineering education as well as the professional and technical agility you need to excel. It offers an excellent stepping stone into senior roles in fields such as design, maintenance, asset management and construction.
- Combine undergraduate and postgraduate studies in a single four-year programme, so that you graduate with a masters degree
- Achieve a highly respected MEng qualification which will set you apart in the job market
- Gain the underpinning knowledge for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Hone your skills in the excellent workshop and technical facilities at our impressive new STEM Centre
- Be inspired by our well-qualified and highly experienced teaching team who will ensure your learning is relevant and up to date
- Put theory into practice through real-world projects, case studies, site visits and fieldtrips
- Enjoy invaluable industry insights, with the chance to take an optional placement year
- Develop management skills alongside your technical know-how
- Employable Graduates – we’re ranked 15th highest amongst all UK universities and 12th for English institutions with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: HESA 2016.
The new MEng Civil Engineering enables you to move smoothly from undergraduate to masters level learning, giving you greater opportunity to develop specialist knowledge and fine-tune your advanced skills. It will take you one step further in realising your ambitions.
On the fast track to success
This dedicated programme builds on the success of the highly regarded Bachelor degree provision at the University of Derby. Drawing on guidance from appropriate professional bodies and reflecting the demands of employers, it covers all the specific skills and knowledge you need for a career within the civil engineering sector.
As a MEng Civil Engineering qualification, it takes you above the level of an honours degree and equips you with the underpinning knowledge for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
The programme strikes a balance between academic concepts, practical work, and the techniques necessary for a successful future in civil engineering. It is accredited by the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors.
A firm foundation of knowledge
You will gain a solid grounding in the fundamental principles and constraints of civil engineering so that you can make sound decisions concerning design; the selection of functional elements, materials and processes; and the most cost-effective use of both time and resources. You will also deepen your appreciation of how technology is applied within an industrial engineering context.
Civil engineering today is characterised by a constant drive for improvement and a relentless pace of development. As a graduate with a masters qualification in Civil Engineering, you will be primed to meet the challenge of that change.
Throughout your studies, we will develop your management capabilities. We also encourage and support you to find work placements within the industry so that you can gain vital experience of current practices, systems and techniques.