Therapeutic Practice Courses
Our fascinating courses will challenge and inspire you, develop you personally and professionally, and open up career opportunities where you can make a difference every day.
Would you like to harness the arts in therapeutic ways to improve people’s physical and emotional wellbeing? Therapeutic Practice covers a wide range of disciplines so you can choose one that matches your area of interest. We have a longstanding reputation for innovation. No other university in the country offers such a comprehensive range of courses in this field.
Helping people to enjoy themselves
“In creative expressive therapies you work with the healthy aspects of the person, so we look at doing fun things with them and helping them to enjoy themselves. It’s been a wonderful experience and I’ve made real friends for life here. I would say to anyone who wants to come and do this course ‘do it, it’s great. I have had the best time here’. I’ve met amazing people, the lecturers are all incredible, everyone works really hard and we have a real community here.”
This is Therapeutic Practice
Choose Therapeutic Arts at Derby for:
- High-quality courses which are accredited by recognised professional, statutory and regulatory bodies
- Postgraduate study opportunities aligned to the principles of psychotherapy so that you can go on to register as a specialist arts therapist
- The chance to engage in community projects, fieldtrips and end-of-year shows
- Superb facilities including dedicated art, dance and music studios plus theatre spaces
- An enthusiastic teaching team made up of qualified arts therapists, active researchers, renowned authors and industry practitioners
For information on placements, please see course pages or contact Clive Holmwood at C.Holmwood@derby.ac.uk.
What our Therapeutic Practice graduates do
By developing your transferable skills our therapeutic practice courses open up many doors across a variety of sectors.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- counselling and psychotherapy
- community arts
- art, dance, music or drama therapy, following further training
- arts administration.
Or you might wish to pursue careers in:
- human resources
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: