If you have a career in mind and need the qualification to get there, but don’t meet our entry requirements for a full degree, you should explore one of our foundation level courses.
You can use these courses as an alternative route if you have never had the opportunity to study at A-level/BTEC or if you have changed your career plans since studying for your last qualification.
You’ll get all the benefits of being a University of Derby student, plus extra support to help build your knowledge, skills and confidence.
We offer three different foundation routes:
- Degrees with foundation year
- Arts Year Zero
- Foundation degrees and HND
Degrees with foundation year
If you have the enthusiasm for exploring your subject area but not all the skills needed to succeed as a student at degree level, you could consider a course with foundation year. This is an integrated four-year course that starts by introducing you to the foundation elements of study at university.
- we’ll ensure you are not held back by missing the entry requirements – a foundation year course offers another route to the same destination, and our application process considers your background and interests
- get a steer on achieving your potential throughout your foundation year, with fantastic academic and wellbeing support – we’ll help you get to grips with university terminology and practices, so you gain the skills and knowledge needed to achieve
- you'll become familiar with the variety of different university assessment methods, which could include reports, essays, presentations, videos, performances, and exams. Once you pass the foundation stage, you’ll move uninterrupted on to your bachelors degree
Foundation years are offered across a range of subjects - use our course search to find one that suits your ambitions.
Arts Year Zero
While employment in the UK creative industries is growing at four times the rate of the UK workforce as a whole, there are fewer opportunities for young people to study arts subjects at school. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t follow your passion for the arts at university.
Derby’s Year Zero route is for students with an interest in the arts but who don’t meet degree level entry requirements.
- can you develop creative work that startles or surprises?
- are you open to new ideas and creative challenges?
- do you have qualifications at A-level/BTEC but not in Arts subjects?
This covers disciplines within art and design, creative and performing arts, 3D creative skills and digital studio practice.
Foundation degrees and HND
Our two-year foundation degree courses with Higher National Diploma provide you with the skills needed to work in the associated industry. Your experience will be similar to a normal degree, taught on campus by University of Derby staff, using the same facilities.
Once your course is complete, you can choose to go straight into employment or transfer onto the final year of a bachelors degree in a related subject.
These courses are identified as FdA (Foundation in Arts), FdSc (Foundation in Science), FdEng (Foundation in Engineering), and HND (Higher National Diploma).
Entry requirements for the University of Derby are specific to each of our foundation levels subjects. Search for the course you're interested in and then look at the entry requirement information.
We'll look at any relevant qualifications and experience you already have when making a decision about your application.
If you have any queries or questions about studying with us, please get in touch.
T: +44 (0)1332 591167