Bachelors degrees - General entry requirements - University of Derby

Bachelors degrees

If you're taking a bachelors degree, here are our general entry requirements:

Your UCAS points can be made up of the following:

  • passes in two A levels/AVCEs or in an AVCE Double Award
  • a BTEC Certificate or Diploma (12-18 units)
  • the International Baccalaureate
  • SVQ or NVQ Level 3 and upwards
  • OU credits
  • the Welsh Baccalaureate
  • an Access to HE diploma
  • Scottish Highers or Irish Leaving Certificate
  • an Art and Design Foundation Diploma
  • Open College credits
  • OCR Cambridge Technical
  • a CACHE Diploma
  • an Advanced Diploma (for some degrees, you'll need to take a specific subject as Additional and Specialist Learning)
  • overseas qualifications equivalent to the above.

Plus you'll usually have five GCSE subjects including Maths and English Language at grade C or above. (We'll normally accept Key Skills and Higher Diploma qualifications as the equivalent to GCSEs.)

Your qualifications may need to be in a related subject for some courses - please check the course details using our course search.

International student?

Check what the equivalent qualifications are for you

New advanced diplomas

If you're taking the new diplomas that were launched in 2008, we're happy to accept them. In general, we'll take the Level 2 Diploma as an equivalent to GCSEs and the Level 3 Diploma as an equivalent to A levels.

To check entry requirements or for other queries

Contact our Admissions Office
T: 01332 591167

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) includes unit grade information for A levels in the application process. We'll not use unit grade information when we make a decision on your application, unless you ask for particular notice to be taken of your success in a certain area of study.

The Certificate of Personal Effectiveness and the Extended Project

We'll take these qualifications into account when making you an offer, although you may not need to have tariff points from them. We think that studying for these qualifications, enhances your application and should make you more prepared for study at university.

What if I don't meet any of these entry requirements?

Even if you have few or no formal qualifications, you may be able to gain entry to the course if you have the required communication and learning skills as well as the knowledge, experience and motivation to succeed.

You may need to take an Access course or Foundation course first.

If you've been away from academic study for a while, these courses are a great way to get you back into studying. Or if you've never studied before, they help you learn new study skills, essential for success in higher education.

If you require advice on Access or Foundation courses please contact the Guidance Team at the Access and Further Education Centre on 01332 591080 or email

Advanced Standing

Have you recently taken a course in higher education or do you have a high level of professional experience?

If so, you may be able to gain credit for this and enter a course at a stage and level appropriate to your previous study and experience. You'll need to show evidence, including references, when you apply.

European Community Credit Transfer

Please see information on the international students' web pages about this.

Full admissions policy

You can find this on the Rights, Responsibilities and Regulations page