Wishing you the biggest congratulations and welcome to all of our new students starting with us in September 2018. Your first few weeks will be exciting and sometimes overwhelming packed with new information and chances to socialise. You may be in a new city/town, trying to make sense of everything coming your way, surrounded by people you don’t know yet – but everybody around you is in the exact same situation. You'll find information on getting started, your course induction schedule and other activities and events you can get involved in once you start with us.
Our Welcome Weekend takes place on Saturday 15 September 2018 and it is when most of our new students move into their University Halls of Residence at our Derby and Buxton Campuses. If you have made other arrangements or are not moving into the University Halls you're not required to attend this day. However, we do have some activities taking place (incl. Freshers Fortnight) that you can join in with. If you're moving into Halls, be sure to book a time slot in advance and arrive at the time allocated - you can do that here.
Induction and enrolment
At the start of your journey, you'll need to attend your induction set out by your course team which will introduce you to academic and support staff, as well as your fellow students. Your induction may also include a whole range of activities and events to help you settle in. You’ll be sent instructions on how to enrol online, if you're going to be studying on campus you'll be also be required to come and confirm your enrolment on site - this will be built into your induction schedule. Don’t worry if you’re not sure about anything or don’t know what modules you need to study, as we’ll be here to advise and support you. To find your induction schedule and information about enrolment head to the 'Before you arrive' section below.
If you have a disability, health condition, learning difficulty or mental illness, our Get Ahead programme will give you the best possible preparation for student life. You'll have been contacted directly by our Student Wellbeing Team with more details.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
After reading our Welcome pages you may have some questions - why not have a look at our Welcome FAQs to see if you can find an answer there.
To help you prepare, we've put together a few essential to-do activities for before you get here, during your first weeks and for the rest of your time with us.
Before you arrive
- Upload a photo for your student ID card (Unicard) - instructions to follow
- Complete online enrolment
- Explore our Welcome webpages
- Read up on the essential information if you're an EU or International student (EU and International students only)
- We recommend that you contact your GP if you haven't already been vaccinated with MenACWY. There's more information available online about MenACWY
- Find your course induction schedule. Please keep checking back until you arrive as there may be changes
- Check your student finance is set up and in place. You can find out about student finance on our Student Fees and Finance webpage
- If you're living in University Halls of Residence, make sure you've booked your arrival slot so you can move in hassle free. If you haven't booked you can do this here (halls students only)
- Read up on the essential information if you're moving into University Halls of Residence (halls students only)
- Get familiar with your place of study - check out our virtual tours
- Join us on social media! Follow @derbyunistudent on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook for helpful advice and news from across the University
- Check out our #DerbyUniWoW campaign and join in with our Words of Wisdom from fellow students. You can also follow #DerbyWelcome to get excited with us for the new semester
During your first week
- Follow and attend your induction schedule provided by your course teams to get the most out of your week (if applicable)
- Go to your enrolment slot as part of your course induction schedule. You'll receive a Welcome Guide, your student ID card (Unicard) and a bright and colourful lanyard to keep it safe!
- Check out the Freshers' Fair and other Freshers' Fortnight events and activities - there's lots going on catering for different tastes and interests
- Invest in notebooks and stationary to make notes in lectures and seminars (unless you prefer to bring your laptop). It's always good to be prepared!
- Register with a doctor. If you're studying at our Derby Campus you can register with Park Medical Practice. If you're studying at our Buxton or Chesterfield Campuses you can search the NHS website for your local GP
- Get yourself into good habits with finance early on - have a read of our budgeting blog written by a fellow student
Whilst you're here
- Get involved with your Union of Students and sign up to a society or sports club, there's something for everyone
- Discover the Chaplaincy service, they offer support to all students of all faiths. You can also find them at the Multi-Faith Centre at the Kedleston Road site of our Derby Campus
- Get connected. Use our free Eduroam Wifi whilst on site
- Bring your waterbottles on-site, we have water fountains at each of the Derby Campus sites, the Buxton Campus and the Chesterfield Campus