Gender and Sexual Minorities and Support

For many students coming to university will be an exciting time and experience. You may feel freer to be yourself in a university environment. However, we are aware that there are also potential problems for our GSM students and we are here to support you should these arise.

No matter what our gender identity or sexual orientation, every one of us has the potential to fall prey to emotional or psychological difficulties stemming from a huge range of issues. For gender and sexual minorities there may be additional sources of distress, for instance the stress of coming out or dealing with unaccepting or ignorant attitudes.

The University offers several sources of support for our GSM students:


If you are questioning or concerned about your gender or sexuality, you may want to explore this with one of our Psychological Wellbeing counsellors.

Feel free to contact us at:

Derby Campus

Buxton Campus

Mental health

If you are experiencing long term problems with your mental health you may be entitled to some additional support. Contact the Student Wellbeing Service or arrange an appointment to come and see us. You can find our contact details here.


The Chaplaincy, Derby and the Chaplaincy, Buxton both provide a safe place to discuss issues of faith and sexuality/gender without judgment. The Chaplaincy is composed of chaplains from many Christian faiths and a team of Faith Advisors representing a variety of different faith traditions.

Students' Union

Support and affirmation from your peers can be extremely valuable. The Students' Union has a very active LGBT Society, which meets both for social occasions and to organise campaigns.

The Students' Union also has a professional advice service - who can meet with you to discuss support and how you can help yourself settle in to university life

You can also take some simple steps to help maintain your mental health.


Help may be available to students who are financially dependent on unsupportive parents. Please contact us in the Student Wellbeing Service to discuss this or any other issue that is concerning you.