What support is available?

What Support is Available?

We provide a wide range of support for our students with a specific learning difficulty; this will vary according to need. To enable us to put support in place we need you to provide us with evidence of your SpLD.  This is usually in the form of a report from an Educational Psychologist’s report or Specialist Teacher who has a Practicing Certificate. Please send your evidence together with the Evidence Return Sheet. If you would like advice about acceptable evidence please contact us.

If you think you might have a specific learning difficulty but have not been assessed, the following links will be of help:

Once you have provided evidence, we can put a Support Plan in place containing reasonable adjustments to the way you are taught or assessed, these could include:

Disabled Students Allowance

As well as reasonable adjustments you might also be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance. DSA is available from your funding body and pays for the additional support that students need for university. Our experience shows that students really benefit from the support of DSA, find out more. It can take up to three months to get your DSA, so you should apply for it as soon as you have applied for a course.

Step 1

Applying for Disabled Students Allowance

Your application for DSA should be made to your funding body – see below:

Getting Acceptable Evidence of a Specific Learning Difficulty

It is important that you send acceptable evidence with your DSA application such as the report from an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher with a Practicing Certificate (post 16 years)

If you have any queries about acceptable evidence or where to apply for DSA please contact us.

If you don’t have the evidence required then please talk to us about the possibility of you having a new dyslexia test with us before you start university

Step 2

DSA Study Needs Assessment

When your funding body confirms your eligibility for DSA they will ask you to have a Study Needs Assessment.  The Assessor will discuss with you how your studies can be made more accessible to you and identify the support and equipment you need.  DSA pays for the assessment and the recommendations made. The assessment can take place at our accredited assessment centre in Derby, University of Derby Outreach Assessment Centre, but before we can book this we need a copy of the letter or email that confirms the assessment can go ahead.

Step 3

Putting Support in Place

We will help you afterwards to put the agreed support in place.

If you want to talk to us about any aspect of support for your studies please contact us.

We recognise that embarking on a university course involves many different challenges and we will work with you, to identify and arrange appropriate support. Once you have made contact with our service our Advisers will remain available for on-going support throughout your time at university.

To help you to settle into university life we hold an annual event called Get Ahead. You can find out more about Get Ahead here.