What support is available?

Disabled Students

We provide a wide range of support for our disabled students; this will vary, according to need. To enable us to put support in place we need you to provide evidence. This could be a GP’s letter, an Educational Psychologist’s report or an audiogram. Please send your evidence together with the Evidence Return Sheet. If you would like advice about appropriate evidence, please contact us.

Once you have provided evidence, we can put a Support Plan in place containing reasonable adjustments to the way you are taught or assessed, these could include:

Disabled Students Allowance

As well as reasonable adjustments you might also be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). DSA is available from your funding body and pays for the additional support that disabled students need for university. Our experience shows that students really benefit from the support of DSA and so we strongly recommend that you find out more. It can take up to three months to get your DSA, so you should apply for it as soon as you have applied for your course. 

Step 1

Applying for Disabled Students Allowance        

Your application for DSA should be made to your funding body – see below:

It is important that you send acceptable evidence with your DSA application such as:

If you have any queries about acceptable evidence or where to apply for DSA please contact us

Step 2

DSA Study Needs Assessment

When your funding body confirms your eligibility for DSA they will ask you to have a Study Needs Assessment.  The Assessor will discuss with you how your studies can be made more accessible to you and identify the support and equipment you need.  DSA pays for the assessment and the recommendations made. The assessment can take place at our accredited assessment centre in Derby, University of Derby Assessment Centre, but before we can book this we need a copy of the letter or email that confirms the assessment can go ahead.‌‌

Step 3

Putting support in place

We will help you afterwards to put the agreed support in place.

Transferring Social Services support

If you have support from Social Services and will require support when you move to Derby please contact us.

Hall accommodation

If you want talk to us about accessibility issues in respect of your halls accommodation again please contact us.

We recognise that embarking on a university course involves many different challenges and we will work with you, to identify and arrange appropriate support. Once you have made contact with our service our Advisers will remain available for on-going support throughout your time at university.

To help new disabled students settle into university life we hold an annual event called Get Ahead.