Halls of residence

As a new student we guarantee you a place in our halls of residence. This does not mean that you must live in halls, just that you can if you want to.

If you do choose to live in halls of residence we can also guarantee that you will be able to return to the same room each year that you are studying at the University.

Halls of residence are organised into flats - this means that you will be sharing a kitchen with other students. In some of our flats it also means that you will be sharing a bathroom. We do, however, have some rooms with en-suite bathrooms that you would not have to share. If you decide to live in halls and think that you would need an en-suite please email for the Derby Campus or for the Buxton Campus. Please tell us at the earliest opportunity as we have a limited number of en-suite rooms.

Sharing a flat with other students can be fun but it can also be challenging. You will need to consider whether or not you would enjoy sharing with other people and whether you might need some support to do this.                                      


If you choose not to live in halls of residence you can decide to rent a room in a house or a flat. We check lots of houses and flats to make sure they are suitable for students - you should only live in a house or flat that we have approved. View a list of the houses and flats we have approved.

In many of the houses and flats you would also be sharing with other students.

It is important to remember that in halls of residence you only have to pay your rent. In a house or flat you will also have to pay for electricity, gas, water internet access and telephone.

Of course, if you live close to the University already, you may instead choose to carry on living at home and commute into university every day. If your home is not very close to the University you may be eligible for some funding to help pay your transport costs. Find out about funding your transport costs. 

If you choose to leave home to come to university, you will be living independently. It is important that you understand what this means and how you can prepare yourself for living independently. You may be entitled to help and support from community care services, normally provided by your local authority social services department.

GET MORE LAUGHS - Move into a flat with a group friends

Top tips for living independently

There are some simple steps that you can take to make sure the process of going to university is as smooth as possible.

View our top tips for living independently at universityView our top tips for living independently at university

Related links