Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia and Dyscalculia

We know that going to university is a major step and we are keen to support you so that your time with us is enjoyable and successful.

The Student Wellbeing team are experienced in supporting students and will be able to guide you through the process of getting the support you need throughout your studies.

What support is available?

There are a number of opportunities for you to meet with us and start setting up support before you start your course. A visit to the University can be arranged for you to get a feel for the facilities and accommodation. You can also discuss your needs with an Advisor. If you are attending for an academic interview or an Open Day, it may be possible to meet with an Advisor. Please contact us to make an appointment.

Organising your support

We provide a wide range of support for our students with a specific learning difference; this will vary according to need. To enable us to put support in place we need you to provide us with evidence of your SpLD. This is usually in the form of a report from an Educational Psychologist’s report or Specialist Teacher who has a Practising Certificate.

Please send your evidence together with the Evidence Return Sheet. If you would like advice about acceptable evidence please contact us.

If you think you might have a specific learning difference but have not been assessed, the following links will be of help:

Once you have provided evidence, we can put a Support Plan in place containing reasonable adjustments to the way you are taught or assessed, these could include:

Disabled Students' Allowance

As well as reasonable adjustments you might also be eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). DSA is available from your funding body and pays for the additional support that students need for university. Our experience shows that students really benefit from the support of DSA. For help with applying for DSA, please contact the Disability Officer at your university. It can take up to three months to get your DSA, so you should apply for it as soon as you have applied for a course.

A student's perspective

Hear about Sarah’s experience as a student with dyslexia:

Sarah Chapman, BA (Hons) Education Studies specialising in special educational needs and disabilities talks about her course