Study at Derby with a Postgraduate Loan
You can now borrow up to £10,280 to study at masters level.
The £10,280 can be used to pay for your tuition fees or other costs associated with studying, such as living costs or course expenses.
If your course is longer than one year you can get up to £5,000 in your first year and the rest in your second year. If you're studying part-time you can only get payments in the first two years of course.
Am I eligible?
- You must normally live in England and be under 60 at the start of the first academic year of your course
- You have to be studying a taught or research postgraduate course in the UK that leads to a masters qualifications e.g. MA, MSc, MBA, MEd or LLM
- If you already hold a masters qualification or an equivalent higher level qualification you will not be eligible for the new Postgraduate Loan
- The amount you get doesn't depend on your household income.
To check if you are able to get a Postgraduate Loan for your course at the University of Derby, please contact our Student Records and Fees team.
How do I apply?
You can apply for a Postgraduate Loan using the application service at www.gov.uk/postgraduateloan
You should apply as early as possible to make sure your loan is available for the start of your course.
When will I get paid?
The Student Loans Company will send you a payment schedule to let you know when you'll be paid once your application has been processed. It will usually be paid in three installments each year.
Facts about repaying your loan
- Repayments are based on your income, not what you borrowed.
- Interest is charged at the Retail Price Index (RPI) plus 3% from the day we make your first payment until your loan is repaid in full or written off.
- You can make voluntary repayments towards your loan at any time.