Funding your studies

Depending on what you study, how you study and where you are resident, there are a number of different options to part or fully finance your postgraduate study at the University of Derby.

Spreading the cost

For UK students on a part-time course at the University of Derby, our flexible payments make it easier for you by spreading the cost across the academic year. The repayment dates depend on when you enrol on the course.

Postgraduate loan

You can now apply to Student Finance England for a Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,280 towards the cost of studying a Masters course. You are able to access this funding if you are studying a taught or research Masters course of 180 credits and meet all of the eligibility criteria.

More information about Postgraduate Loans

Career Development Loan

You may be eligible for a Professional and Career Development Loan to support your study. These allow you to borrow up to £10,000 from a high street bank and charge no interest while you study.

Postgraduate Doctoral Loan

Doctoral student loans will be introduced in the UK for the first time in 2018. If you're a UK or EU student, starting a PhD or other postgraduate doctorate, you may be able to borrow up to £25,000 to help pay university fees, living costs and other expenses. Find out more

Support for vocational courses

Prospective teachers can get finance for Initial Teacher Training, PGCE and SCITT (School-Centred Initial Teacher Training). Bursaries are available to trainee teachers – these don’t need to be repaid, but they do vary according to the subject you’re planning to teach and your first degree classification. The Get Into Teaching website has more information about funding teacher training.

Bursaries are also available for social work or healthcare courses. Again, these are grants that don’t need to be repaid.

Sponsorship by an employer

If you’re working, your employer may be willing to pay some or all of your fees. You’ll need to submit a sponsor letter from your employer, indicating that they are willing to pay some or all of your fees. See our website for a sample letter

International students

As an international student, you need to ensure that you have adequate maintenance funds showing that you have £1,015 for each month of your course up to a maximum of nine months (£9,135) plus any outstanding course fees.  Maintenance funds refers to the amount of money you must have available to you or any family members that may be accompanying you. You must show that you have access to a certain level of funds to meet your living costs in the UK and outstanding course fees. The amount of money you need depends on how long your course is and how much of your course fees you have paid.

Find more information about maintenance funds and cost of living in Derby. 

University of Derby alumni discount

If you have already completed a full undergraduate degree with us, you could get an alumni discount on your postgraduate course fees. This applies to most postgraduate courses, but you must be paying the fees yourself or through a loan and not through your employer.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

If you’re a higher education student living in England with a disability or long-term health condition, you may be eligible for support through the Disabled Students' Allowances scheme. The support you receive depends on individual needs, not on income or savings.

Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries

Looking for additional funding? Postgrad Solutions now offer 17 bursaries across a number of subject areas.