I am a Lecturer in Business Management.
- I want to ensure that our students enhance their learning through more active, experiential and applied teaching, learning and assessment approaches which are relevant and useful to businesses.
- I want to help small businesses (particularly micro businesses) gain the skills and knowledge to help them attract and retain more customers.
I specifically teach in the areas of Enterprise and Entrepreneurship, Marketing and Strategy, and at the crossover of these disciplines. Examples of modules which I teach on include:
- UG Enterprise, entrepreneurship and innovation modules
- UG International business and strategy modules
- UG Independent Studies module
- PG Strategy & Leadership in Marketing module
- PG MSc Marketing Management Joint Programme Leader
My research currently focuses on three specific areas:
- Firstly, how to measure and enhance learning through more active, experiential and applied teaching approaches with a particular emphasis on deep and surface learning, both for students and within the business community.
- Secondly, the application of more creative and innovative elements (such as multimedia technologies) within both formative and summative assessment practices to encourage a more enterprising portfolio of evidence which students can present.
- Thirdly, determining how small businesses (particularly micro businesses) can improve their marketing so that they can attract more new customers whilst retaining existing ones.
Experience in industry
My expertise lies at the intersection of enterprise (particularly in small businesses), marketing and strategy. I am both a practitioner and an academic as I started, own and run a small business myself, so I have a good appreciation of the current agenda and activity within the enterprise and small business sector. I started my company to help SMEs achieve profitable growth through increasing sales (eg through market research, marketing and customer acquisition) whilst reducing costs through operational and efficiency improvements. These business consultancy activities have included undertaking and managing contract market research projects and customer surveys, conducting strategic analyses, developing business and marketing plans (and then implementing those plans at a tactical level) and introducing lean thinking. These activities have been for a variety of domestic and international SMEs both in the B2B and B2C arenas, and has resulted in improved company performance once the development solutions have been implemented.
Prior to this, I have had a number of senior roles in sales and marketing positions with various original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). These companies have produced and sold equipment and servives which have ranged from single high precision gauges to multi-million pound capital equipment and installation projects. The majority of these products and services were for international clients.
I have both sold and commissioned equipment as far afield as Fiji, Japan, Thailand and the Phillipines, through most Western European countries to the USA, Canada, Mexico and Brazil.