I am a Senior Lecturer in Business Management, Leadership and HRM. Aside from teaching I am currently joint REF lead for the Business and Management Unit of Assessment.
I supervise several doctoral (PhD and Prof Doc) students who are engaging in projects with organisations such as the MoD, NHS and the Government of Malta providing close support.
My research is primarily based on public and policy evaluation and evidence use in the public sector where, for instance, I have explored evaluation as an issue for public integrity and governance. I am published in several international public management journals (Public Management Review, Policy and Society, International Journal of Public Administration). I also connect at a practitioner level with these issues through the UK Evaluation Society (UKES) of which I am a member of Council, and Treasurer and a founding steering group member of the Midlands Regional Network.
I have been an invited speaker for the Polish Agency for Economic Development and for Islamic Relief Worldwide. My research has been used by senior academics in the public management field to call for better use of evidence in policy and practice.
My PhD was based on evaluation within an economic regeneration programme. Utilising an ethnographic research methodology it looked at the relationships, interactions and phenomena that occur in evaluation practice. The research demonstrated a host of challenges that face evaluators in their roles. Its novelty lay in the meta-evaluative account that it provided of evaluation, using ethnography a 'warts and all' perspective of evaluation was gained which demonstrated the stakeholder conflicts, politics, power struggles, and methodological issues that evaluators observe. The research also provided lessons for policymakers and those commissioning evaluation.
Previously, I have been a founder member of the University of Derby's International Policing and Justice Institute (IPJI), working with institute colleagues and police organisations to undertake applied research. I have previously also worked in Teesside University's Centre for Leadership and Organisational Change (CLOC).
I currently supervise a number of doctoral students mainly on leadership, organisational improvement and organisational development projects.
I have several doctoral and MRes completions and examinations.
I was previously Head of Research (Business) with the University, where I led research and Chaired the College Research Committee since 2014.
Membership of professional bodies
- International Association for Practice Doctorates (IAPD): Member
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA): Fellow
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI): Member
- Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development (CIPD): Graduate membership
- UK Evaluation Society (UKES), and steering group member for UKES Midlands Regional Network
- Member of the International Research Society for Public Management (IRSPM)
I also participate in the 'Better Evaluation' network and 'Alliance for Useful Evidence'.
Experience in industry
I have experience working in public sector settings both in employed and consultancy capacities. I have previously worked in HR and as part of a transformation team in a UK police service. As well as undertaking projects in policing, a fire service, enterprise support, and enterprise evaluation.
I have worked a great deal with the non-profit sectors in advisory and project roles including the Argidius Foundation, advising on the use of ethnographic in evaluation settings.
I work part-time for the University, and in my non-University role I am a business (OD) consultant and support our family firm, a project management firm.
2011: Teaching Business and Management in China (Zibo, Shandong).
Additional interests and activities
I would welcome contact from academics or practitioners around my research interests or the programmes I am involved with: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brown, C. Wond, T. (2018). Building career mobility: A critical exploration of career capital. Journal of the National Institute for Career Education and Counselling, 41(1), pp.56-63
- Crowther, D., Seifi, S. and Wond, T. (2018). Responsibility and governance: the twin pillars of sustainability, The Goals of Sustainable Development: Responsibility and Governance, Springer: Singapore
- Crowther, D.,Seifi, S. and Wond, T. Introduction: Responsibility and governance: the twin pillars of sustainability in Crowther, D.,Seifi, S. and Wond, T. (2018). Responsibility and governance: the twin pillars of sustainability, The Goals of Sustainable Development: Responsibility and Governance, Springer: Singapore – pp.1-13
- Wond, T. Evaluation for what purpose? Findings from two stakeholder groups in Crowther, D.,Seifi, S. and Wond, T. (2018). Responsibility and governance: the twin pillars of sustainability, The Goals of Sustainable Development: Responsibility and Governance, Springer: Singapore 73-86
- Brown, C.A. & Wond, T. (2018) Building Career Capital: helping workers to enhance career mobility within uncertain times, Jagiellonian Journal of Management (special issue)(forthcoming)
- Wond, T., and Rambukwella, S. (2018) Measuring the value of postgraduate placements to employers: A cost-benefit approach, Industry and Higher Education, 32(2), pp. 93-107
- Brown, C.A. & Wond, T. (2018) Career capital: Building our mobility within an evolving world of work. Career Matters, 6(2), pp. 32-33
- Wond, T. (2017) 'Trust matters: Distrust in an External Evaluation of a Public Sector Programme', International Journal of Public Administration, 40(5), 408- 415.
- Wond, T. (2015) 'Police Officers with degrees: the plan, challenges and (missing) evidence', Policing Insight, 14/11/15
- Wond, T. & Macaulay, M. (2011). 'Extending Time: Extended Benefits - Using longitudinal research in public management evaluation'. Public Management Review, 13(2), 309-320, DOI: 10.1080/14719037.2010.536059
- Wond, T. & Macaulay, M. (2010) 'Evaluating Local Implementation: An Evidence-based Approach', Policy and Society, 29(2), pp.161-169, DOI: 10.1016/j.polsoc.2010.03.008.
I review for three international peer-reviewed public management journals and one HE journal.