Position: Senior Lecturer in Nursing & Healthcare Practice
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Health Care Practice
Subject area: Pre Qualification Health Care
I am a Senior Lecturer on the pre-registration BSc Nursing programme based at Chesterfield Campus.
I am also the Placement Lead for adult student nurses at Chesterfield Royal Hospital.
I am the Module Lead for Foundations in Nursing at Chesterfield.
I am also part of the Year 1 teaching team across modules, and support the Quality Improvement in Healthcare module in Year 3.
I have professional interests in clincal skills, service improvement, mentorship/practice placement and care of patients with long term conditions.
My current interests include oxygen therapy in palliative care, and the inclusion of Social Media in education.
I am a full member of the Royal College of Nursing and I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- PGCert Interprofessional Practice Education - University of Derby
- MMedSci Health Care Studies - Universty of Sheffield
- K350 Assessing Practice in Nursing & Midwifery - The Open University
- PGDip Health Care Studies - University of Sheffield
- BA (Hons) Social Policy - Sheffield Hallam University
- Collis, S.P. (2006) 'The importance of truth-telling in health care', Nursing Standard, 20(17), pp. 41-45
- Collis, S. (2006) 'A review of the literature on the nurse role in clinical audit', Nursing Times, 102(12), pp. 38-40
- Dawson, P. et al. (eds.) (2012) Oxford Handbook of Clinical Skills for Children's and Young People's Nursing, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
I have many years of experience in the NHS including as Staff Nurse and Charge Nurse on acute medical wards, Clinical Skills and Resuscitation Teacher, Clinical Nurse Specialist in Home Oxygen Assessment for North Derbyshire, Service Improvement Lead Nurse and most recently Senior Clinical Improvement and Innovation Manager. During this time I also worked an an Associate Lecturer for The Open University and was an Advanced Life Support Instructor.
I still undertake clinical shifts in a local hospital to use for reflection and as a resource for my teaching.