Programme Lead and Senior Lecturer for BA(Hons) Youth Work and Community Development (inc. JNC and ESB) and the BA(Hons) Working with Young People and Communities (inc. JNC)
Passionate about Inter-profesisonal Youth Work and community development
LGBT+Allies Staff Network Chair - passionate about addressing the challenges of being human through inclusion and equlaity, locally, regionally and nationally.
Change Champion for the University of Derby - actively being and influencing change, instead of just watching it happen.
External Examiner for:
Bishop Grosseteste University
Uninversity of Starfshire and
Programme Lead and Senior Lecturer
Foundation year link tutor
Module Leader for:
- Independent Study
- Creating Learning at Stage 2
- Personal Academic Tutor for Stage 2 and 3
I am the lead on Social Pedagogy within Social and Community Studies
I am passionate about inclusive practice, the development and sustainability of Youth Work and Community Development practice.
I am a change champion within the University and an active social change warrior within my communities of practice and geographical location
I am an advocate for resilience and creativity in practice.
I am an LGBT+ role model and the LGBT+Allies staff Network Chair
Prior to working at the University of Derby, I worked full-time and developed significant experience in the management and development of youth and community work delivery, youth arts work, career education and youth work in faith-based organisations. I was also a Senior Manager of Student Support Services in Further Education. I worked voluntarily with young people in a variety of community based settings.
Youth Work as a pedagogy for social change
The inter-professional nature of Youth work
Inclusive practice and cultural change
Resilience and professional practice with young People
Social Pedagogy as a tool for developing independent learning in Higher Education
Approaches to risk and young people
Participation and informal education with young people and communities
- Author, Chapter 5: Children, Young People and Risk: Just about Managing? in Brownhill, S.P. (2013) Empowering the 0-19 Workforce. London: Routledge
- Developing a Resilience Perspective for trainee Youth Work Practitioners. Doctor of Education (EdD) Research. (Jan 2013 – on-going)
- Co-facilitator of the Resilience in Practice Research Cluster Group, University of Derby (June 2012 – on-going).
- Member of the iCeGs and Bill Law’s Narratives of Young People’s Lives research group (September 2006 - June 2011)
- Member of the CYPS FdA research team: investigating the impact of Every Child Matters on Practioners working with Early Years and Young People (June 2008 – July 2009)
- Member of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and the University of Nottingham’s ‘Mapping Youth Exclusion in the East Midlands’ Advisory Group (Jan 2006-July2007)
- MA - Young Learners at Risk – What are the Drivers that Keep them in Education (Jan 2004 – May 2005)
Membership of professional bodies
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2008)
JNC professional membership in Youth Work
TAG - the professional Association for HE Lecturers in Youth and Commubnity Work
The Institure of Youth Work
D2N2 Youth Work Alliance (co-founder)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Stonewall Role Model
Experience in industry
University of Derby
- External Examiner, Newman Universtiy (2018-)
- Programme Lead BA(Hons) Youth Work and Community Development (inc. JNC and ESB) (2018-)
- Change Champion at the UOD (2018-_
- LGBT+Allies Staff Network Chair (2017 -)
- Programme Lead BA(Hons) Working with Young People and Communities (inc. JNC.) ( July 2016 - )
- External Examiner, University of Stafford (September 2015 -)
- External Examiner, Bishop Grossteste, Lincoln (September 2015 -)
- Social Pedagogy Lead for the Department of Social and Community Studies (2015 -)
- Joint Honours Lead for the College of HSC (May 2015 -)
- Member of the Disability Studies Prize Group. University of West England (August 2011 – on-going).
- Senior Lecturer BA (Hons) Applied Community and Youth Work (2009 – on-going).
- External Examiner, University of Chester ( September 2007- September 2012)
- Guidance and Young People Pathway Leader - Children and Young People’s Services FdA (April 2007 – June 2012)
- Senior Lecturer BA (Hons) Community and Youth Studies (Jan 2006 - 2009)
- P/T sessional Lecturer University of Derby (Nov - Dec 2005)
New College Nottingham (FE)
- Operations Manager, Student Support Services (2003-2005)
- Student Development Team Leader (2000-2003)
- F/T Youth Work Co-ordinator (1997-2000)
Youth Service Experience
- Youth Music Specialist (LIC), Derbyshire County Council Youth Service (1997 - 2003)
- Acorn Initiative LIC, Nottinghamshire County Council Youth Service and West Nottinghamshire College Youth Worker (F/T) (1995-97)
- Youth Music Specialist (P/T) Nottinghamshire County Council Youth Service (1994-98)
- Youth Worker (P/T) Nottinghamshire County Council Youth Service (1993-95)
- Diocesesan Volunteer (F/T) for Southwell (Nottinghamshire) Dioceses (1990-91)
Voluntary Work Since 1998
- Secretary and Trustee of the Belper Players Ametuer Dramatics Group (September 2015 -)
- Young People’s co-ordinator, Belper Players Amateur Dramatics Group (Sept 2012 – on-going)
- Member of the Belper Players Amateur Dramatics Group. Committee (2010-on-going)
- Musical Director Belper Players Amateur Dramatics Group (2007 -).
- Member of the Youth Strategy group Derby Diocese (2006-2011).
- Musical Director Derby Diocesan Youth Events (2005-2006).
- Chair of the Youth Strategy group for Derby Diocese (2005).
- Personal Tutor, BA (Hons) Theology, Youth and Community studies St. John’s College, Nottingham (2002-2003).
- Member of the Board of Education for Derby Disocese (1998 - 2002)
Additional interests and activities
Trustee for the Belper Players Amaturer Dramatics Society
Member of Accessible Belper
Social Change Warrior!