Programme Lead and Senior Lecturer in BA(Hons) Working with Young People and Communities (inc. JNC)
BSc Child and Family Health and Well-Being
MA Social Work
Module Lead Social Pedagogy
College Lead Joint Honours
Programme Lead and Part Time Co-ordinator for the BA (Hons) Working with Young People and Communities
Module Leader for:
- Professional Practice at Stage 3,
- Community Learning at Stage 2
I am the lead on Social Pedagogy within the Social and Community Studies, as well as the Joint Honours Lead for the College of Health and Social Care.
I can be contacted on S.Barley-McMullen@derby.ac.uk or 01332 594011, and my room number is BM303.
I work full-time and have significant experience in the management and development of youth and community work delivery, youth arts work, career education and youth work in faith-based organisations. I was also a Senior Manager of Student Support Services in Further Education. I continue to work voluntarily with young people in a variety of settings.
The development and sustainability of youth work practice.
Resilience in practice.
Resilience and professional practice with young People
Social Pedagogy as a tool for developing independent learning in Higher Education
Approaches to risk and young people
Participation and informal education with young people and communities
- Developing a Resilience Perspective for trainee Youth Work Practitioners. Doctor of Education (EdD) Research. (Jan 2013 – on-going)
- Co-facilitator of the Resilience in Practice Research Cluster Group, University of Derby (June 2012 – on-going).
- Member of the iCeGs and Bill Law’s Narratives of Young People’s Lives research group (September 200 - June 2011)
- Member of the CYPS FdA research team: investigating the impact of Every Child Matters on Practioners working with Early Years and Young People (June 2008 – July 2009)
- Member of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation and the University of Nottingham’s ‘Mapping Youth Exclusion in the East Midlands’ Advisory Group (Jan 2006-July2007)
- MA - Young Learners at Risk – What are the Drivers that Keep them in Education (Jan 2004 – May 2005)
Membership of professional bodies
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2008)
I hold the JNC professional Award in Youth Work
Experience in industry
University of Derby
- Programme Leader Working with Young People and Communities (inc. JNC.) ( July 2016 - )
- External Examiner, University of Stafford (September 2015 -)
- External Examiner, Bishop Grossteste, Lincoln (September 2015 -)
- Social Pedagogy Lead for the Department of Social and Community Studies
- Joint Honours Lead for the College of HSC (May 2015 -)
- Member of the Disability Studies Prize Group. University of West England (August 2011 – on-going).
- Senior Lecturer BA (Hons) Applied Community and Youth Work (2009 – on-going).
- External Examiner, University of Chester ( September 2007- September 2012)
- Guidance and Young People Pathway Leader - Children and Young People’s Services FdA (April 2007 – June 2012)
- Senior Lecturer BA (Hons) Community and Youth Studies (Jan 2006 - 2009)
- P/T sessional Lecturer University of Derby (Nov - Dec 2005)
New College Nottingham (FE)
- Operations Manager, Student Support Services (2003-2005)
- Student Development Team Leader (2000-2003)
- F/T Youth Work Co-ordinator (1997-2000)
Youth Service Experience
- Youth Music Specialist (LIC), Derbyshire County Council Youth Service (1997 - 2003)
- Acorn Initiative LIC, Nottinghamshire County Council Youth Service and West Nottinghamshire College Youth Worker (F/T) (1995-97)
- Youth Music Specialist (P/T) Nottinghamshire County Council Youth Service (1994-98)
- Youth Worker (P/T) Nottinghamshire County Council Youth Service (1993-95)
- Diocesesan Volunteer (F/T) for Southwell (Nottinghamshire) Dioceses (1990-91)
Voluntary Work Since 1998
- Secretary and Trustee of the Belper Players Ametuer Dramatics Group (September 2015 -)
- Young People’s co-ordinator, Belper Players Amateur Dramatics Group (Sept 2012 – on-going)
- Member of the Belper Players Amateur Dramatics Group. Committee (2010-on-going)
- Musical Director Belper Players Amateur Dramatics Group (2007 -).
- Member of the Youth Strategy group Derby Diocese (2006-2011).
- Musical Director Derby Diocesan Youth Events (2005-2006).
- Chair of the Youth Strategy group for Derby Diocese (2005).
- Personal Tutor, BA (Hons) Theology, Youth and Community studies St. John’s College, Nottingham (2002-2003).
- Member of the Board of Education for Derby Disocese (1998 - 2002)