Mr Mark Hall
Position: Senior Lecturer BA (Hons) Commercial Photography
College: College of Arts, Humanities and Education
Department: Art and Design
Subject area: Photography
Research Centre: D-Marc
Senior Lecturer in Commercial Photography
- Current External Examiner at Open University (Plymouth College of Art and Design)
- Ended 2014 External Examiner University of West London
- Current External Examiner University of Hertfordshire
- Ended 2012 External Examiner at the University of Gloucestershire
Over 26 years experience in Advertising, Editorial and Corporate Photography.
I have been a commercial/editorial and advertising photographer since graduating from Blackpool in 1986. I've worked on many high profile campaigns both in the UK and in Europe as well as for many magazines and supplements. I continue to work for clients in the Midlands and have shot documentary work in Africa.
I am currently studying for a PhD at the University and my research interest is The Light Ages (Photography, lighting and visibility as a means of control). My general research interests centre around technology, light and the 'programs' of photography.
- Associate Member of British Institute of Professional Photography (ABIPP)
- University Member of the Association of Photographers (AOP)
- External panel member at recent validation events, at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen; Thames Valley
- University, Reading; South Nottinghamshire College, Nottingham. Open University (Hull), Leeds Metropolitan University
- HND Photography, Blackpool and Fylde College
- Professional Qualifying Exam, British Institute of Professional Photography (BIPP)
- MA in Photography, London College of Printing
- Associate, British Institute of Professional Photography
- Associate, Higher Education Academy
Journal article in Spatial Representations of British Identities, Longing for the Light: Darkness dislocation and Spaces of Exile, May 2012
- Mapping Dangerous Spaces - British Library
- New Horizon's Conference - University of Derby
- The University of Paderborn - Reading English Spaces
Cycling, mountain biking, rugby, marathon running and motorcycling.
I now undertake private commissions and shoot across the UK and in Africa.
Winner of the Association of Photographers' Lecturer of the Year Award in 2009 with a series of commissioned portraits of big game hunters in Africa.
I have spent the last 26 years as a commercial advertising and editorial photographer working in a variety of fields from still life to cars and people, though primarily my practice centres around location and people.
My list of clients is exhaustive and covers many of the top advertising agencies and magazines in the UK and Europe.
I have also traveled widely, working on every continent most recently in Tanzania and Mozambique. I have establishe educational contacts with FAMU in Prague and in India and China.
- Interviewed on BBC Radio regarding the possibility that the photographs in the The Mirror of Pete Doherty might be fake.
- Interviewed by BBC Radio about the ethics of digital manipulation in the media with specific regard to some recently published images of Twiggy.
- Interviewed by BBC Radio about mobile phone images and the media.
- Interviewed by BBC Radio about posing and how to make yourself look good in your holiday pictures