Dr Kapila Liyanage
Position: Senior Lecturer in Engineering Management
College: College of Engineering and Technology
Subject area: Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
I am a Senior Lecturer in Engineering Management at the College of Engineering and Technology. I'm the programme leader for MSc in Strategic Engineering Management and have over 15 years of teaching experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Before joining the University of Derby in 2013, I worked at University of Strathclyde, University of the West of Scotland, Warwick Business School and the Open University of Sri Lanka. My research focuses primarily on operations and supply chain management, business improvement, systems modelling & simulation and sustainable manufacturing.
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Manufactuirng Systems Optimisation and Simulation
- CPD and Strategic Management
- Innovative Solutions
- Advanced Operations Management
- Corporate Responsibility and Professional Development
- Management of the Business Enviornment
- Operations and Supply chain management
- Process improvement and performance measurement
- Systems Modelling and Simulation
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Second Class Upper (2.1), University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
- PhD in Computer Simulation of Manufacturing Systems, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
- Mijoh Ayodele GBEDEDO, Liyanage K and Oraifige I(2016), Simulation aided Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment framework for Manufacturing Design and Management, International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering, Vol 10, No 7.
- Liyanage K. and Hanthiringe G (2008), Simulation based approach to evaluate modular manufacturing system in the apparel industry, Journal of Maufaturing Engineering, Vol. 3(2)
- Liyanage KNHP and Jatunarachchi TSS (2005), Cleaner Production in Sri Lanka: Role of Higher Educational Institutions, Journal of Scientific & Technical Studies, Vol. 9(1)
- Senanayake SAMAN, Liyanege KNHP and Dadigamuwa PR (2005), Factors Affecting on Student Unsuccessfulness in Engineering Programmes in Distance Education, International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, Volume 2(6), ISSN 1550-6908.
- Liyanage KNHP and Fernando KODD (2004), The Impact of Information Technology as a Knowledge Management Initiative on Corporate Performance, A Journal of Scientific & Technical Studies, Vol 7(2).
- Perera T. and Liyanage K. (2001), IDEF Methodology for rapid data collection, Integrated Manufacturing System, Volume 12 (3), Publisher: Emerald
- Perera T. and Liyanage K. (2000), Methodology for Rapid data Identification and Collection of input data in the Simulation Manufacturing Systems, Simulation Practice and Theory, International Journal of the Federation of European Simulation Societies.
- Mijoh Ayodele GBEDEDO, Liyanage K and Oraifige I(2016), Simulation aided Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment (LCSA) framework for Manufacturing Design and Management, 18th International Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Liyanage K (2015), Simulation based Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for Sustainable Manufacturing, International Conference on Remanufacturing, Amsterdam.
- Liyanage K and Mijoh Ayodele GBEDEDO (2014), Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) adoption strategy for strategic supply chain, 12th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, UK
- Chicksand D, Watson G, Walker H, Radnor Z, Johnson R and Liyanage K (2010), Theoretical perspectives in purchasing and supply chain management: an analysis of the literature, 19th IPSERA Conference, Finland.
- Sena Peiris V R, Liyanage KNHP and Jatunarachchi TSS (2006) Profitability through Cleaner Production, 3rd International Conference on Business Management- Corporate Social Responsibility: Profits & Beyond, University of Sri Jayawardenapura, Sri Lanka.
- Liyanage KNHP and Fernando KODD (2005), The impact of information technology as a knowledge management initiative on organisational performance: An empirical study, International Journal of the Computer, the Internet and Management, Vol.13(SP2): Proceeding of the International Conference on Computer and Industrial Management, Thailand.
- Liyanage KNHP (2005), Methodologies for data collection and model documentation in computer simulation, International Journal of the Computer, the Internet and Management, Vol.13(SP2): Proceeding of the International Conference on Computer and Industrial Management, Thailand.
- Piyasena S M., Perera TDS, Liyanage KNHP (2004), Task -Oriented Approach to Documentation in Computer Simulation, 2nd International Conference on Manufacturing Research, Incorporating the 20th UK National Conference on Manufacturing Research, Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
- Senior Business Performance Analyst, Supply Chain Dept, Balfour Beatty Utility Solutions (2008-2009)
- ERP Consultant, Kingslake Engineering (1999-2000)
Furthermore, I have been involved in a number of projects. Here are some examples:
- Gibson Technology, Derby-Manufacturing system performance improvement
- Sheffield Assay office- Redesigned factory layout and creating more efficient operating practice
- Balfour Beatty, Sheffield - Identification of sourcing opportunities through spend analysis and development of a supplier performance measurement system for SRM
- Toroid International, Sri Lanka, ERP implementation
- Phoenix Industries Limited, Sri Lanka, ERP implementation