I have overall responsibility for Undergraduate generalist business and management programmes within Derby Business School, these include: BA (Hons) Business Management (and its various derivitives), Business Studies, Joint Honours Business Management, Joint Honours Human Resource Management and HND/C Business and Management.
At Postgraduate level I am responsible for MSc HRM and CIPD programmes. I work with teams of Programme Leaders, Year Leaders and specialist academics who are module leaders to ensure that academic standards, professional body requirements, work related learning opportunities and enhanced student learning is achieved in all that we do. My teams are involved in the development of new initiatives, programmes, and courses that deliver to students throughout the world.
I am a Programme Leader with responsibility for programmes that are affiliated to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, and specifically those that are run on a part time basis. I teach in the subject areas of human resource management,organisational behaviour, management, and leadership. Additionally I supervise postgraduate level dissertations.
I am also a Personal Tutor at undergraduate level.
I am work as member of the National Standards Moderating Team for the Chartered Instititute of Personnel and Development.
My l research interests include:
- Employee voice and engagement
- Academic freedom
- Leadership in Universities.
Experience in industry
After graduating from Leeds University I was a Graduate Trainee in Employee Relations in British Steel, I have also worked in the Civil Service, Local Government and in the private sector as an Employee Relations Manager. I moved into the academic world after working in industry for approximately 20 years. I continue to work with organisations on projects, consultancy and training and development activities.
My international work related experience is mainly within the context of my University development and teaching roles. I have recently delivered sessions in Greece and I have worked in Switzerland, Malaysia Israel, Botswana and Malawi.
- Gill JMR (2016) The University as a Business; is there a place for academic freedom and freedom of speech? Derby Business School, Celebrating Success Series.
- Gill JMR (2015) Reclaiming Freedon in Education and Society: a review of research findings. East Midlands Salon (International Debate series), March.
- Gill JMR (2011) Academic Freedom and the role of educator in HEIs (Forthcoming chapter in book).December 2011
- Gill JMR (2011) Professionalism and Academic Freedom (2011) Teaching Standards Conference - Derby. July
- Dexter B, Franco G and Gill JMR (2010) A Brave New World for HRM in Local Government. European Academy of Rome. Conference paper. May
- Cope S and Gill JMR (2010) CPD: Concept or Context, Institutional and Faculty Perspectives. SoTL 8th International Conference. May
- Cope S and Gill J.MR (2010) Continuous Professional Development, Is concept or Context the critical factor? ABS Workshop, Derby. March
- Gill, JMR (2008) Embedding CPD in BCL - Developing the Reflective Academic. Buxton LTA conference. July
- Gill, JMR (2007) Research is the thing....., Buxton LTA Conference. July
I also review a range of postgraduate based texts in human resource management and act as an academic referree for journal articles.