Position: Senior Lecturer
College: College of Health and Social Care
Department: Social and Community Studies
Subject area: Social and Community Studies
Research Centre: Centre for Society, Religion and Belief
I am a Senior Lecturer. I primarily work on the BA (Hons) Applied Social Work Programme. At present I work as part time Lecturer and use my other time in engaging in research and writting activity.
I am module leader for Applied Sociology and Social Work co-ordinator for Inter professional module for BA (Hons) Applied Social Work programme. Besides this I teach on Attitudes and Values and on Independent Study Modules. I have regularly contributed to Inequality, Rights and Responsibility Module and Management Module on BA (Hons) Applied Social Care programme
My particular areas of interest are working with children and adults particularly in relation to mental health and transistions.
I have particular interest in issues around impacts of inequality and transistions. To this effect I have recently carried out two different research; one into ageing and transistions for 'new settlers' in UK and other into overseas students and their transistions into education systems in UK.
I regularly work with voluntary agencies that deal with these issues in housing, education and social sector.
- I am a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA). I am registered with the General Social Care Council (GSCC).
- I am trustee, board member and vice chair of Leicestershire Age Concern.
- Diploma in Education, Kenyatta University
- C.Q.S.W., DeMontfort University
- Practice Teacher Award, DeMontfort University
- Approved Mental Health Worker ASW, Leicestershire Social Services in conjunction with CCETSWI
- MA in Human Resource Management, DeMontfort Unversity
- PostGrad Diploma in Research Methods, University of Derby
- Post Grad Cert, in eLearning, Teaching and Training, University of Greenich
I have recently completed a research report on Promoting Inclusive Education in Delhi.
- LTA Conference Buxton July 2009 - "Outcomes of Research carried out into the needs of the overseas students in EHS"
- BESA Conference Stafford University July 2009 - "Exploration of issues that Impact on learning experiences of new settlers."
- Conference Toronto University May 2008 - "Growing old in the adopted land - case of Survival in the dual culture"
I am very interested in promotion of equality in social and education areas. I have recently worked with NGOs SARD and Save the Children in conjunction with University of Jamia in Delhi on a research conducted to explore application of inclusive programmes in primary schools in some of the deprived areas of Delhi.
From the outcome of the research carried out into the needs of 'overseas' students in EHS, I have recently aquired TIR funding to produce information and comprehensive guidance for such students.