I am employed at Derby University as a senior lecturer in mental health nursing and I have current Nursing & Midwifery council (NMC) mental health nursing registration. I also have a teaching qualification registered with the NMC.
I teach on BSc and MSc pre-registration mental health nursing and interprofessional programmes. I supervise doctoral students and have 2 PhD completions. I have external examiner experience at masters & doctorate level. I also have experience of facilitating continuing professional development (CPD) and consultancy activities in dementia, mental health awareness and mental health in older people. My research experience covers a wide range of subjects and tends to be focused on qualitative methods.
24th Mental Health Nursing Research Conference. Concurrent paper: Tackling the inescapable. What matters in mental health care for older people. 12-14th September.
- 22nd International Network for Psychiatric Nursing Research. Nottingham Trent University Sept. 14-16th. A qualitative longitudinal study of mental health nursing students learning following education on age and discrimination across the life course. E Collier, C Foster, K Sutton.
- Royal College of Nursing & British Geriatric Association joint conference.
- Posters: 1 Age and Discrimination Education. 14th April 2016, Birmingham. Researchgate DOI:10.1016/j.nepr.2013.12.00
2 Posadem: a pan European development of master’s modules in dementia.
- 4th European Mental Health Nursing conference. Riga, Latvia.
- Posters: 1. There is no such thing as old age 2. Posadem: a pan European development of master’s modules in dementia.
- Concurrent session: Service user (student nurses) and lecturer research collaboration: teaching age and discrimination (Collier, Foster, Holmes, Sutton & Jones)
- 21st InternationalNetwork for Psychiatric Nursing Research. Collier, E., Ashmore, R. Workshop: The mental health needs of transgender people and significant others, friends, family, allies (SOFFAs).
- 20th International Network for Psychiatric Nursing Research
- Concurrent paper: Service user (student nurses) involvement in an educational research project and other methodological issues
- Workshop: Dementia Friends information session
- Poster: POSADEM: The development of a Pan-European Master’s degree in Dementia.
Additional interests and activities
Journal Article Reviews
Doctoral examinations (1 PhD by publication & 1 Prof doc. completed)
Prof. Doc. Supervision (ongoing)
Melvin Bradley, University of Salford. The effect of co-production on mental health
Christine Heaton, University of Salford. An ethnographic study of emergency response to falls in older people
Sue Bellass 2016 Intergenerational Experiences of Young Onset Dementia: A Qualitative Longitudinal Study
Siphiwe Carol Nxumalo-Ngubane 2016 The Experiences, Perceptions and Meaning of Recovery for Swazi women living with Sifo Sengcondvo - 'schizophrenia'.
External Examiner Sheffield University 2014-2018 MSc Dementia Studies
University of Salford and North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust: Health Education England funded Mental Health Liaison Team training pilot. April -September 2018.
The Law Society. Communication with older people seminars (Feb/March 2018);
Research bid reviews
Higher Education for Dementia Network (HEDN)
Alzheimers Society Dementia Champion and Dementia Friend
Scientific Committee member for 7th International Nurse Educational Conference (NET/NEP) 2018
2017 £70,000 With North West Boroughs & Health Education England. Mental Health Liaison Team Training pilot.
Mental Health Liaison Training Pilot Lead Gary Lamph
2014 £165,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership. Education of care workers and carers in an intervention to improve relationships with people with dementia. With Six Degrees mental health social enterprise. Lead Dr Tracey Williamson & Dr Phil McAvoy
2013 €400,000 POSaDEM Pan-European Masters programme in dementia. A collaborative project with Austria, Ireland, Finland, Holland, UK Lead Dr Natalie Yates-Bolton & Prof. Martin Johnson
Last 10 years: Reports, journal articles, editorials and book chapters,
- Collier, E., Ahmed, J., Lamph, G., Ahmed, A. (2018) Tackling the inescapable. Mental health in later life. A report on a series of conversations. University of Salford, UK.
- Ahmed, A, Yates-Bolton, N, Collier, E 2014, Diversity and inclusiveness in Dementia. Listening event report - ISBN 978-1-907842-59-7, , University of Salford, Salford, UK.
- Williamson, T, Ball, E, Choucri, L, Collier, E, Devitt, P, Franks, H, Howarth, M, Lythgoe, J, McAndrew, S & Roberts, D, Rowswell, K, Seppala, L, Wray, J, Yates-Bolton, N (2011) A report on the health and social care listening event, University of Salford, Salford, United Kingdom.
- Luxmoore, B., Marrett, C., Calvert, L., Calvert, S., Foy, P., Smith, E., Collier, E. (2018) Evaluation of the Good Life Festival: a model for co-produced dementia events. Mental Health Practice 21(6): 26-31
- Collier, E., Grant, M. (2018) A literature review on the experience of long term mental illness. Issues in Mental Health Nursing p1-8
- Byrom, B., Collier, E., Rogers, M. (2017) Nurses recognition of domestic violence British Journal of Mental Health Nursing 6(6):286-293
- Watts, P., Watts, C., Collier E. Ashmore, R. (2017) Transgender mental health needs: A Wife’s tale Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 24(5): 261-262
- Bennett, M., Collier, E. (2016) A qualitative study of the perspectives of people diagnosed with schizophrenia of their physical health risks and needs. Nursing Times 7: 1-4
- Curran, B., Collier, E. (2016) Growing older with post-traumatic stress disorder. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 23: 236-242
- Morrissey, M., Collier, E., (2016) Literature review of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in the Critical Care Population Journal of Clinical Nursing 25: 1501-1514
- Collier, E., Knifton, C., Surr, C. (2015) Dementia Education in Higher Education Institutions Nurse Education Today 35(6):731-732
- Adshead, S., Collier, E., Kennedy, S. (2015) A literature review exploring the preparation of mental health nurses for working with people with learning disability and mental illness. Nurse Education in Practice 15(2): 103-107
- Horton, R., Collier, E., McAndrew, S. (2014) Evaluation of a service based on the principles of recovery. Mental Health Practice 18(6):19-24
- Black, M., Collier, E. (2014) Supporting veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder. Mental Health Practice 18(3): 14-20
- Collier, E., Foster, C. (2014) Teaching age and discrimination: A life course perspective, Nurse Education in Practice 14: 333-337 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2013.12.00
- Collier, E. (2014) Supporting people with dementia. Nursing in Practice June Vol 78 http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/supporting-people-dementia
- Burke, M., Collier, E., Yates-Bolton, N., Haworth, R. (2014) Promoting Good Design.The Journal of Dementia Care. Jan/Feb 22(1):18
- Collier, E. Edwards, S. (2013) The Abandoned illness: where is the voice of older adults? British Journal of Mental Health Nursing 2(1): 15
- Collier, E., Sorrell, J. (2011) Schizophrenia and Older People. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services 49(11): 17-43
- Collier E. (2010). The confusion of recovery: one solution. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 19:16-21
- Doherty, D. Collier, E.(2009) Caring for people with dementia in non-specialist settings
- Collier, E. (2008) Historical development of psychiatric classification. British Journal of Nursing 17(13):818-822
- Evans, T., Clare, A., Collier, E. (2008) Excluded from the social inclusion agenda: one person’s story. Mental Health practice. 11(7):26-29. Nursing Older People 21(6): 28-31
- Walker, E., Collier, E. (2016) Editorial. Hidden in plain sight: the reality for military veterans. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 23: 133-144
- Ashmore, R., Collier E. (2017)Driving to the edge of the cliff: transgender mental health. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 24(5): 302-310
- Collier, E., Conhye, P. (2017) Care of older people from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups In Holland K.. Chapter 9 Cultural awareness in Nursing. 3rd Ed CRC press, Oxon
- Collier E., McQuarrie, C., (2014) Older People. In I. Hulatt (ed.). Mental Health Policy for Nurses. pp79-95. Sage Publications, London.
- Collier, E., Yates-Bolton, N. (2011) Older people in mental health care. Chapter 20 pp.239-249. Mental Health Ethics. The Human Context. Routledge, Oxon.
- Collier, E., Welsh, S, (2009) 'Safety in acute mental health and general hospital settings' Chapter 6 In: Iggulden, H., MacDonald, C., Staniland, K. (eds.) Clinical Skills the Essence of Caring. McGraw-Hill. Open university press, Milton Keynes, UK,
- Adams, T., Collier, E. (2008) Services for older people with mental health conditions. In, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. The Craft of Caring. P. Barker (ed.). Hodder Arnold, London