My research and writing combines cultural geography, social anthropology, cultural and visual studies and art theory. It engages on how people interact with and create space; how they animate space into poetics in the form of landscape; through everyday life, memory, physical and imaginative feeling, tourism, community involvement and as artists: affect, space, atmosphere.
My research and writing crosses a number of fields of cultural geography, social anthropology, cultural and visual studies, art theory. These are connected through an attention to life and space that includes landscape, everyday life and its tourism, community involvement and the work of artists. This work includes an interest in gentle politics, belonging, disorientation and cultural identity, and human poetic expression in diverse forms of creativity. I'm also an exhibiting artist, that informs my writing and is informed by it, see below.
Research centre and groups
- Identity, conflict and representation Research Centre REF4* 2013
- previously member, Open Studio
- previously Dierctor, Culture and Lifestyle Research Group.
See article in Research Review 2013 and 2010.
Membership of professional bodies
Journal editorial board memberships
- International Journal of Heritage Studies; Tourism Geographies, Tourist Studies
- Previously Editor, Leisure Studies; Editorial Board Tourism and Cultural Change.
Papers, frequently by invitation and as keynote, to over 200 conferences, Symposia and Research Seminar presentations, UK, Europe and USA
most recently Basel, Rotterdam and Leuven 20116-17, Warwick 2015
Experience in industry
Research in Local Government; a number of research projects funded by Government and Research Trusts including Leverhulme, British Council, Swedish Insttute of Knowledge and Competence, Nuffield.
Additional interests and activities
a regularly exhibiting artist. my artwork and my writing prove to be mutually informaing.
Cover image `Walk`, Visual Studies Special Issue Walking, April 2010
Recent Art shows [since 2009]
- 'Resilience' Royal Derby Hospital 2014 [mixed]
- Midlands Open Tarpey Gallery 2013
- Southwell Minster, 2012 [two-person show]
- Richard Attenborough Gellery, University of Leicester 2011 [mixed]
- Travel and Mobility, Angel Row Gallery, Nottingham July, 2010 [mixed]
- Tarpey Gallery, Castle Donnington 2010 [mixed]
- University of Derby March 2011 [solo]
- Guest artist, Southwell Open Studios 2009
- Bull Yard Gallery, Southwell 2009 [solo]
- The George Gallery, Newnham-on-Severn, Gloucestershire March-May 2009
Wide range of experience in BBC film work, including film production and programme consultancy; writing for and interviewed by national broadsheets and specialist press; national, regional and international television and radio, reflecting range of research and writing expertise. Most recently, BBC Radio 4 Questions, Questions; BBC online.
- The Question of Space: Interrogating the spatial turn between disciplines, edited with Marijn Nieuwenhuis, Rowman and Littlefield 2017
- Flirting with space: journeys and creativity, Ashgate, Nov. 2010; Routledeg 2016 including softback
- The Media and the tourist imagination, Routledge 2005 and three earlier original edited collecitons.
- first book, The Allotment: its landscape and culture, with Colin Ward 1988
- Geographical Scholarship and Tourist Research Tourism Geographies 2018
- space, poetics, brticolage Humanities 2017
- Lived spaces of anarchy: theory and practice of Colin Ward Planning Theory and Practice 2017
- Ecologies of Value: a critical examinaiton of the Art of John Newling cultural geographies [in practice] 2014
- Flirting with Space: thinking landscape relationally; cultural geographies 22 [1, 1.] January 2010. and over 30 further academic journal articles
- Community Gardens, with Claire Nettle, in J. Zunert et al eds. Landscapes of Food, Routledge Handbook 2018
- Lived spaces of anarchy: Colin Ward's social anarchy in action, in F.Ferretti et al eds. Historical geographieus of anarchism Routledge 2017
- affect, heritage, feeling, in E. Waterton, S.Watson The Palgrave Handbook of Contemporary Heritage Research 2015
- Afterword: from Affect to Landscape and Back, in C. Berberich et al Affective Landscapes in literature, art and everyday life Ashgate 2015
- Landscape, performance and performativity, in Routledge Companion to Landscape Studies 2013
- Space and place-making: space, culture and tourism in M. Smith et al eds Routledge Handbook of Cultural Tourism 2013
- Afterword in Andrews et al eds Liminal Landscapes Routledge 2012
- Landscape, land and identity: a performative consideration in C. Berberich et al eds. Land and Identity Rodolpi 2012
- Gardens and gardening, in N.Thrift and R.Kitchin eds.Encyclopaedia of Human Geography, Elsevier 2009
- The perpetual performance and emergence of heritage in E. Waterton et al eds Heritage and Visual Representation Ashgate 2010
- Creativity, space and performance: Community Gardens in T. Edensor et al eds Spaces of Vernacular CreativityRoutledge 2009
- The Diverse Dynamics of Cultural Studies and Tourism in T.Jamal and M.Robinson eds. The Sage Handbook of Tourism Studies Sage, 2009
- Constructing feelings of wellness in Tourist Performance, in R.Bushell and P.Sheldon P., eds, Wellness Tourism; Nurturing Mind, Body, Spirit and Place Routledge 2009
- Revisiting the street and everyday geographical knowledge, in: A. García ed.Espacio público, ciudad y conjuntos históricos. IAPH, Andaluscia (translated in Spanish with new Introduction and Afterword) 2009 (first published 1998)
- and fifty further book chapters
In addition, numerous articles in non-refereed and popular journals.