I'm a digital marketing practitioner and senior lecturer in digital marketing.
Working as a practitioner means my students get access to real work situations, with great insights into the latest trends in practice and in the work place, as well as being able to underpin knowledge with academic research.
At the University of Derby I am the Programme Leader for our BSc (Hons) Marketing (Digital) which equips students with the skills, vision and confidence to apply digital marketing techniques as part of any integrated marketing and communications strategy.
The focus is on a genuine use of digital marketing in business. Social media engagement, viral marketing, multi-channel campaigns, analytics, metrics, content management, online advertising, search engine optimisation, PPC, mobile marketing strategies, digital analytics - it’s hands-on learning at its most inspirational.
I am the programme leader for BSc (Hons) Marketing (Digital) and module leader for:
- Introduction to Digital
- Digital and Social Media
- Digital tools, technology and platforms
- Mobile Marketing
- Online Community Management.
Additionally I am the Senior Examiner for the Chartered Institute of Marketing's (CIM) Diploma in Professional Marketing Digital Strategy (Level 6) since September 2014.
- Working towards a PhD on creating a strategic framework for the business use of social media networks
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing (DipM), for which I won the Worshipful Company of Marketors Award for best Exam Results for the highest mark worldwide in the Case Study Examination
- Chartered Institute of Marketing E-Marketing Award (awarded Distinction for assignment and exam)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BA French and Linguistics
Experience in industry
- Managing Director, Evonomie Ltd (since 2004), digital marketing consultancy working with many businesses to develop digital strategy and digital marketing plans.
Assignments have included working with:
- Deakin & Francis, one of the UK’s oldest jewellery brands
- Francesco Group, the largest hairdressing franchise in the Midlands
- Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (via MoveUK now known as HomeSwapper) Interim Marketing & Communications Manager
- Direct Laboratories (now part of Eurofins) Interim Strategic Marketing Manager
- Slimming World - Interim (consultancy) Online Marketing Strategy.
- 'Market Sensing via Social Media' Chapter in 'Alternative Market Research Methods: Market Sensing' (2016) Routledge, Oxford. Editors Longbottom, D and Lawson, A.
Hanlon, A. (2016), "Digital strategy", in The Business & Management Collection, Henry Stewart Talks Ltd, London (online at https://hstalks.com/bm/3343/)
Non-academic practitioner handbooks and guides
- Hanlon, A. and Chaffey, D. (2016). Digital Marketing Models Guide; Frameworks and tools for digital audits, planning and strategy, Smart Insights [Online] Available from http://www.smartinsights.com/guides/digital-marketing-models/ (Free downloadable guide focused on digital marketing models. Requires registration (free). Written specifically for students and follows Harvard referencing. Includes the original sources for all models)
- Hanlon, A. (2014) Quick Win Social Media Marketing. Oak Tree Press, Cork, Ireland
- Hanlon, A. and Chaffey, D. (2013) Essential Marketing Models Classic Planning Tools to inform strategy, Smart Insights. Available at: http://www.smartinsights.com/guides/essential-marketing-models/ (Free downloadable guide to many key marketing models. Requires registration (free). Written specifically for students and follows Harvard referencing. Includes the original sources for all models)
- Hanlon, A. and Akins, J. (2009) Quick Win Digital Marketing. Oak Tree Press, Cork, Ireland
- Hanlon, A. (2009) Quick Win Marketing. Oak Tree Press, Cork, Ireland.