Dr Anne Luke
Position: Senior Lecturer in Childhood Studies
College: College of Arts, Humanities and Education
Department: Education and Childhood
Senior Lecturer in Early Childhood Studies and Co-ordinator of the Childhood Research Cluster.
International and global perspectives on childhood, sociology and politics of childhood, research methods, study skills, Postgraduate research supervision.
The history and politics of youth and childhood in Latin America; youth culture; youth political participation; identity; Cuban studies; Early Years education; political institutions; social construction of childhood; the family and the home.
- Member of the Society of Latin American Studies
- Associate Member of the Cuba Research Forum
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- PhD Youth Culture and the Politics of Youth in Revolutionary Cuba, University of Wolverhampton
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of Wolverhampton
- MA Politics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- BA (Hons) History, University College London.
- Luke, A (2014) “A Culture of Youth: young people, youth organisations and mass participation in Cuba 1959-62” in Mauricio Font and Araceli Tinajero (eds) Handbook of Cuban Literature, History and the Arts. Boulder: Paradigm
- Luke, A. (2013) "Listening to Los Beatles: Being young in 1960s Cuba” in Anne Gorsuch and Diane Koenker (eds) The Socialist Sixties: Crossing Borders in the Second World. Bloomington: University of Indiana Press
- Luke, A (2011) “Creating a Quiet Majority? Youth and Young People in the Political Culture of the Cuban Revolution” in Par Kumaraswami (ed) Rethinking the Cuban Revolution nationally and regionally: politics, culture and identity. Malden/Oxford: Blackwell/Wiley; Bulletin of Latin American Research (BLAR) Book Series, pp127-143.
- May 2016 "“From Rebellion to Rectification: Youth in the Cuban Revolution” . Youth and Socialism: Transnational Perspectives. University of Zurich, 7-8 May 2016
- January 2016 "Southern Childhoods and the Cuban Case: reflections on the construction of everyday revolutionary childhoods". Poster presentation, Southern Childhoods Workshop, 19-21st January 2016, Sheffield, UK
- January 2015 "From Pioneers to Young Communists: constructing childhood in revolutionary Cuba”. American Historical Association Conference “History and Other Disciplines”, New York, USA
- September 2014 “Education, home life and the child in Cuba: Early Childhood in the Special Period and beyond”. Cuba Research Form Cuba Research Forum Conference, Nottingham, UK
- April 2012 “¿Aún Somos Jóvenes? A new assessment of 1980s Cuba”. Society for Latin American Studies Annual Conference, University of Sheffield, UK.
Doctoral supervision and the doctoral process; modern foreign languages; Latin American culture and history.
Research field work in Cuba; training of postgraduate students in Madrid; student placement visit to Milan; participation in international conferences in New York & Illinois; fluent Spanish and proficient Italian and Portuguese.