- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
BA (Hons) Youth Work and Community Development*
Why choose this course?
If you want to make a difference in the lives of children, young people and their families this is the degree for you. It enables individuals to make decisions about their lives, build personal resilience and reach their full potential. This is one of the largest professional youth and community work training courses in the country providing you with a challenging and worthwhile career.
Youth work is a hands-on, face-to-face skill set and process which enables young people aged 11-25 to learn the skills, knowledge, values, attitudes, beliefs and behaviours to support their transition from childhood to adulthood. It is a distinct educational process based on voluntary participation, equality of opportunity and empowerment enabling the holistic development of young people.
At Derby, we see youth work as taking place anywhere where young people are present and purposeful relationships can be built. It is about making a difference alongside young people, supporting young people in context within their families and communities and promoting the collaborative involvement of young people and their influence in their self-determination.
- Prepare for professional roles in public, voluntary and private organisations working with young people and communities
- You can achieve two additional professional awards alongside the degree. The first is the JNC endorsed by the National Youth Agency in Youth Work and the second from the Endorsement and Quality Standards Board in Community Development
- We have an outstanding employability record: 100% of our graduates were in work or further study six months after finishing this course (stat from previously titled Working with young people and communities course)
- The programme at Derby is described as ‘An excellent reference point for other youth work locally, regionally and nationally’ by External Examiner, Steve Harrison (The Open University, 2017).
*This course is subject to validationShow All