Social, Community and Youth Work Courses
Ready to make a difference in your community? Whether you want to be a youth or social worker, family support worker or community project manager, our practical, work-focused courses will set you on the road to a successful career.
If you’d like to make a genuine difference to people’s lives, choose Derby’s high-quality and dynamic courses as your route to register and practise as a social work professional. Our range of relevant work placements will educate and inspire you, and our inter-professional learning approach will give you the opportunity to work alongside a range of health care and other professionals – providing you with realistic preparation for your working life after graduation.
- Course search
- Visit us
- Order your prospectus
- What our students say
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- Professional development and short courses
- Part-time study
- Online learning
- Study abroad
- Careers and employment
- Student fees and finance
- Student life and support
- Contact us
Prepare to have your world view challenged
“This course is designed for anyone who has a passion for working with people. It balances the practical and theoretical, preparing students to go out into the working world fully equipped to occupy the jobs on offer. It builds up your skills and challenges assumptions you may have. Prepare to have your world view challenged.”
This is Social, Community and Youth Work
- With a range of career options open to you, we offer a variety of courses to help you stand out in the field
- We focus on getting you work-ready. We support you to apply your learning to real situations so that you will be fully prepared to make a positive impact on the delivery of services, and changes in policy and practice at an individual, family and societal level
- We’ve worked with key service providers in statutory and voluntary health and social care settings, with service users and other stakeholders to create courses that ensure you’ll gain the skills needed to work in the sector
- BA (Hons) Applied Social Work is approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), meaning you’ll be eligible to apply to register as a qualified social worker when you graduate
- You’ll gain the National Youth Agency professional qualification in youth work on our BA (Hons) Working with Young People and Communities (Youth Work pathway). This will strengthen your CV and help you to stand out in the job market.
What our Social, Community and Youth Work graduates do
There is a huge demand for social workers and our range of courses will set you up for a rewarding career after graduation.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- community work and community mental health
- family support work
- youth and adult offending and rehabilitation
- parenting support work
- health promotion
- employment support
- refugee and asylum-seeker support
- homelessness and social housing
- local authority or multi-agency teams
- residential care units
- commissioning and care management services.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: