Throughout the course you'll study one module covering a range of areas, including:
- Appropriate sampling and testing methods for aggregates
- Procedures used to determine the characteristics of aggregates that are appropriate to the intended end-use
- Different grades of paving bitumen and associated test methods
- Different types of bituminous mixture and their use in road pavement layers
- Methods used to sample, test and control the quality of bituminous mixtures
- Principles of concrete technology
- Raw materials used in concrete
- Methods of specifying, sampling, testing and quality control for concrete
- An understanding of the ways that samples and tests can be carried out safely
You will apply these concepts and theories through problem solving, supported by your own experience and observations in industry.
How you'll learn
You'll study online, and you'll have the opportunity to come to Derby for three tutorials which take place on a Saturday. Here you'll work face to face with our specialist academic staff, all of whom have extensive experience within the industry. It's also an opportunity to meet colleagues in your sector - swapping ideas and sharing best practice.
Your course materials are in an interactive electronic format and are released to you throughout the year. You'll have full online access to our library and other learning resources.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through a combination of assignments and a final exam.