- We've developed this course with the construction materials industry, so you can be sure you're learning relevant and up to date information.
- You'll develop your knowledge about construction materials made with aggregates, bituminous mixtures and ready mixed concrete.
- You'll gain a nationally recognised qualification, which will help to set you apart from others in the industry.
- This course is supported by the Institute of Quarrying and the Institute of Asphalt Technology.
If you want to progress your career in the construction materials industry, this course is ideal for you.
You'll gain knowledge and practical understanding about construction materials made with aggregates and the standards, specifications and other requirements that apply to them. You'll examine sampling and testing methods and the procedures that are used to determine the characteristics of aggregates. You'll also develop your understanding of the principles of concrete technology, and different types of bituminous mixtures and their uses.
The course is studied part time over seven months. You will need to fit it around your work commitments, so you'll need to be self motivated and be able to set aside time each week for study.
Throughout the course you'll study one module covering a range of areas, including:
- Appropriate sampling and testing methods for aggregates
- Procedures used to determine the characteristics of aggregates that are appropriate to the intended end-use
- Different grades of paving bitumen and associated test methods
- Different types of bituminous mixture and their use in road pavement layers
- Methods used to sample, test and control the quality of bituminous mixtures
- Principles of concrete technology
- Raw materials used in concrete
- Methods of specifying, sampling, testing and quality control for concrete
- An understanding of the ways that samples and tests can be carried out safely
You will apply these concepts and theories through problem solving, supported by your own experience and observations in industry.
How you'll learn
You'll study online, and you'll have the opportunity to come to Derby for three tutorials which take place on a Saturday. Here you'll work face to face with our specialist academic staff, all of whom have extensive experience within the industry. It's also an opportunity to meet colleagues in your sector - swapping ideas and sharing best practice.
Your course materials are in an interactive electronic format and are released to you throughout the year. You'll have full online access to our library and other learning resources.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through a combination of assignments and a final exam.
These courses are open to all. If you have experience in concrete, plus positive support from your employer, we will welcome your application.
You should ideally contact the University in July, as this course starts in November.
UK and EU students
*These fees apply if you’re starting this course between September 2018 and August 2019. We recommend you check fee details with us though, as they can change.
Student should apply directly to the University.
Apply directly to the University