Throughout the course you'll study one module which covers the following subject areas:
- Practical understanding of sampling and testing methods of aggregates
- Procedures used to determine the characteristics of aggregates that are appropriate to the intended end-use
- Principles of concrete technology
- The range of raw materials used in ready mixed concrete
- Methods of specifying, sampling, testing and quality control in ready mixed concrete
- The characteristics of cement bound granular mixtures used in road construction
- Practical knowledge of the site activities related to the use of ready mixed concrete in routine civil engineering construction
- The ways that samples and tests can be carried out safely
You will apply these concepts and theories through problem solving, supported by your own experience and observations in industry.
How you'll learn
You'll study online, and you'll have the opportunity to come to Derby for three tutorials over the year. Here you'll work face to face with our specialist academic staff, all of whom have extensive experience within the industry. It's also an opportunity to meet colleagues in your sector - swapping ideas and sharing best practice.
Your course materials are in an interactive electronic format and are released to you throughout the year. You'll have full online access to our library and other learning resources.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through a combination of assignments and a final exam.