Is there easy access to the Library?
The Kedleston Road Library is entered via the Atrium. There is a lift for wheelchair access to all floors. The lift is at the front of the library.
Are there any accessible toilets available?
There are accessible toilets on the lower ground floor, the upper ground floor and on the first floor.
What computers and software are available in the Kedleston Road Library?
There are computers, printers and scanners on all floors.
All student computers have Windows 10 installed which has inbuilt assistive features.
All student computers have Apps Anywhere with the following programs
- TextHelp Read & Write software - reads aloud pages of text (web pages, word documents, PDF files). Useful for people who find it difficult to read large quantities of text online, The 'Speak as I Type' function is useful as a proof-reading tool when typing in Word.
- MindGenius - mind-mapping software that helps you capture, visualise and manage your ideas and information. It's useful for organising your ideas, planning, essay preparation and revising. It suits learners with a visual learning style.
- Inspiration - a mind-mapping tool that suits learners with a visual learning style
All student computers come with QuickScan which can be used to assess learning styles. Student Wellbeing Service (SWS) may refer students to complete a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) assessment using this software. Further advice is availabel from SWS.
Also available on specified computers in the Library:-
- Jaws - screen reading software
- Zoomtext - magnifier / reader
Please ask a member of staff if you want advice about these.
There is a height adjustable workstation.
There is also a dedicated study room (Study Room 3) with assistive equipment including:
- 2 height adjustable workstations
- A large screen monitor attached to a PC with Zoomtext and Jaws
- A large LCD screen on the wall
- A ScannaR which can scan text and read it back
- 2 ergonomic chairs which provide extra support and flexibility
What assistive accessories are available to use in the Library?
- A desktop video magnifier to allow reading of printed materials on a screen in an enlarged format
- Ergonomic chairs which provide extra support and flexibility
- Height adjustable desks
The following equipment is available on request:-
- Coloured reading sheets (A4)
- Reading rulers
- Magnifying sheets
What assistive equipment can I borrow?
The following equipment is available for loan by students with Support Plans. You will need a form completed by a disability advisor from the Student Wellbeing Service
- Laptops (with MindGenius and TextHelp software installed).
- Digital Voice Recorders
- Electronic dictionaries
What photocopying facilities are there?
There are MultiFunctional Devices (MFDs) providing photocopying and scanning facilities on each floor. Materials can be enlarged or copied onto coloured paper - please ask a member of staff if you need help with this.
Who can I contact for more information about the Library