Paying income tax

Everyone in the UK who earns money over a certain amount pays income tax

Income tax is paid to the Government's Revenue and Customs Department.

Usually the more you earn, the more you pay.

You will need to pay income tax on your wages from your full or part time job.

You don’t have to pay tax on the first £6,475 you earn from April 2009 until April 2010. This is called your personal allowance, but money you earn over this is taxable.

Your employer will usually take the tax from your wages each pay day and pass it to the Revenue and Customs Department for you. This is called PAYE (Pay As You Earn).