Achieve a higher degree through supervised postgraduate research
- benefit from an educational experience, which provides training and preparation for research in your chosen discipline
- carry out work which will lead to a new understanding of the phenomena which form the subject of your research
- engage in an academic activity which promotes innovative thinking.
We offer the following research-based qualifications:
This is a three year (six year part time) programme of independent research training under supervision.
A PhD is awarded if you've critically investigated and evaluated an approved topic, produced an independent and significant original contribution to understanding, and have demonstrated a command of the research methods appropriate to your chosen field.
This is a two year (four year part time) programme of independent research training under supervision.
An MPhil is awarded if you've critically investigated and evaluated an approved topic, and demonstrated a sound knowledge of the research methods appropriate to the chosen field.
Members of the Biological Sciences Research Group supervise research students for PhD and MPhil awards.
- MRes (Biological Sciences)
- Find out more about our research degrees.
Examples of recently completed PhD projects
- Elucidation of the mechanisms of copper tolerance in Sea Thrift (America maritime).
- The function of mate guarding in the Field Cricket (Gryllus bimaculatus).
- The role of odour in the attraction of Blowflies (Calliphora) to corpses.
- Development of cryopreservation techniques for strawberry Fagaria x ananassa Duchesne germplasm.
- Distribution, mobility and health significance of iodine and fluorine in the UK - Peak District.