Achieve a higher degree through supervised postgraduate research
- benefit from an educational experience, which provides training and preparation for research in your chosen discipline
- carry out work which will lead to a new understanding of the phenomena which form the subject of your research
- engage in an academic activity which promotes innovative thinking.
We offer the following research-based qualifications:
This is a three year (six year part time) programme of independent research training under supervision.
A PhD is awarded if you've critically investigated and evaluated an approved topic, produced an independent and significant original contribution to understanding, and have demonstrated a command of the research methods appropriate to your chosen field.
This is a two year (four year part time) programme of independent research training under supervision.
An MPhil is awarded if you've critically investigated and evaluated an approved topic, and demonstrated a sound knowledge of the research methods appropriate to the chosen field.
Members of the Biological Sciences Research Group supervise research students for PhD and MPhil awards.
Examples of recently completed PhD projects
- Elucidation of the mechanisms of copper tolerance in Sea Thrift (America maritime).
- The function of mate guarding in the Field Cricket (Gryllus bimaculatus).
- The role of odour in the attraction of Blowflies (Calliphora) to corpses.
- Development of cryopreservation techniques for strawberry Fagaria x ananassa Duchesne germplasm.
- Distribution, mobility and health significance of iodine and fluorine in the UK - Peak District.