PGR Conference Fund 2017-18
The University Research Office recognises the importance of giving oral or poster presentations at conferences and for this reason has increased the PGR Conference Fund to assist self-funded postgraduate research students. A total of £10,000 is available for 2017-18. For general PGR funding opportunities, please contact your College.
Funds are awarded on a competitive basis; they are not an entitlement and cannot be made retrospectively. Please ensure that you have read carefully the guidelines below before submitting an application form.
Completed forms should be sent to Maria Photiou M.Photiou@derby.ac.uk. Evidence of acceptance to participate at the conference (e.g. an email from the organiser) is required.
There are 5 competition rounds for 2017-18. Please consider the timing when applying. Applications should be made in advance of the conference taking place.
Deadline for round 1:noon, 29 September 2017
Deadline for Round 2: noon, 30 November 2017
Deadline for Round 3: noon, 28 February 2018
Deadline for Round 4: noon, 27 April 2018
Deadline for Round 5: noon, 29 June 2018
An assessment panel will assess the applications and normally, all applicants should be informed of the decision within one month of the deadline.
- Only students who have successful completed their RD5 are eligible to apply.
- PGR students who hold a bursary or a studentship are not eligible to apply.
- PGR students who are members of staff are not eligible to apply.
- All applicants need to be supported to attend the conference by their supervisors.
- Successful applicants will receive a contribution to travel, conference fees and accommodation costs up to a maximum of £250 for UK conferences and up to a maximum of £500 for overseas conferences. Applicants are expected to obtain the remaining funding from other sources. It is to be hoped that Colleges will support their students by matching the award.
- Conference awards will be decided on the basis of the relevance to the doctorate, future research plans and status of the conference (e.g. refereed).
- Candidates who are successful in obtaining a PGR Conference Fund will be expected to present their research at one of the UoD research events within 6 months of the date the award have been granted.
- Applications need to be made in advance of the conference taking place (providing evidence that the conference submission has been accepted). Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- Applicants need to prove they have had their submission accepted at a related conference to their research area (not merely attending the conference).
- Successful applicants can only apply once per academic year.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.